+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled Leaders - Again

Hybrid View

Default Furled Leaders - Again

While at Cabela's today I picked up a pre-made furled leader. I've read several of the posts on furled leaders on the site and figured I'd pick one up as they were on sale about 50% off, and if the leader worked as intended it would last long enough to justify the price.

The leader was made by BlueSky Furled leaders out of nylon. The thing I noticed when I got home and was attaching the leader to my line was how stiff the loops at both ends were. On the flyline end the loop is so stiff I have concerns it will bite into the loop on the flyline. For those who make their own furled leaders is this normal?

Thanks,
    Brian

No...I wonder if it was coated with super glue?

Ducksterman,

Could be. It is deffinately stiff and appeares if it has been coated with something.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

The feather-craft(nymph type) mono leader that I have is stiff at its head also and I have had no problems with it damaging the loops on my line after a couple of seasons of use so far.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Brian,
    I think your concern re: the fly line damage is well taken...been there done that...not with furled leaders but with super glue and knots.

What kind of leader did you get....nylon ,thread, fluro..etc...for dry or wet....

Send me your address in a PM and I'll drop one in the mail to you.

I have a Blue Sky furled leader also and have not had any problems with the fly line loop cutting into the fly line. You are right though, the loop on the leader does seem to be much stiffer than on a regular monofilament leader.

Regards

One of the best furled leaders I've tried are from a gentleman from IL, "StreamSide Hand Crafted Furled Leaders". I don't use them alot, but when the need arises, they have proven extremely well and do no damage at all to the line, and lay down very nicely on the water.

Streamside Furled Leaders

Not affiliated with them in anyway, just a satisfied customer

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

+ Reply to Thread