After the great trip to the Fish-In at Lowell, my wife, Vickie (AKA VEE), and I decided to give ourselves a wedding anniversary present of a guided float trip on the Cowlitz River here in western Washington. The goal of the trip was to pursue and catch the wily Sea Run Cutthroat that come in from the salt water to spawn in this beautiful river.

We could have floated the river in our pontoon boats, but Vickie has the habit of rowing in circles so I figured a nice drift in a guided drift boat would be just the ticket.

We met out guide, Steve Buckner, at Mission Boat Ramp at 6:30 AM for a ride up to Blue Creek Boat Ramp. We launched and were on the water by about 7:00. There was a nice fog accompanied by cloudy skies, but no threat of rain. A perfect day for fishing this river for Sea Run Cutts. This was VEE's first crack at Sea Runs and it was a great start.

Steve spent a lot of time with VEE, showing where the fish would be, what they would be feeding on, fly presentation, etc. I was feeling pretty smug because I hooked and brought to hand two nice fish while he was talking her through her first pool. One fish, about 17 inches, was still bright chrome from the salt except for the two light orange slashes under the chin. The second, about 14 inches was well colored up with red gill plates and large spots on a dark green back.

VEE didn't get a fish there, but we took to the boat again and Steve, being the terrific guide that he is, kept us in perfect casting position in likely looking holding water. VEE quickly evened the score by landing two very nice fish in about 8 casts. Further down river, she went one up one me, landing a very bright silver fish, close to 18 inches, from the boat.

We had a great lunch streamside, provided by our guide, Steve, and his lovely wife. Great sandwiches on fresh homemade bread, chips, soft drink, and the smoothest homemade chocolate brownies I've had in a while.

After lunch we wade fished a riffle where VEE hooked a nice steelhead. In her excitement she let him have a little slack in the line and he was gone. (Whew, that would have been hard to live down.)

Despite my best efforts, I was down by two fish at the end of a very good day when VEE landed a beautifully colored Sea Run on the last cast of the day.

VEE is now a dyed in the wool Sea Run Cutt flyfisher, chomping at the bit for another trip down the Cowlitz or any river that these fiesty fish inhabit.

Steelhead, salmon, resident cutts and now the Sea Runs, what was I thinking? Another species for her to chase.

Aint Life Grand?

REE

[This message has been edited by NoahsBoyz (edited 12 October 2005).]