+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a Nor-Vise ??

Hybrid View

Default Who uses a Nor-Vise ??

Hi All,

I would like to know who's using a Nor-Vise and what their thoughts are. I have been thinking about getting one for a while and recently sold some old hobby stuff (model airplanes) and am deciding what to do with the funds. Possibly a Nor-Vise ? . . .

I have watched all the videos on Norm's website and Youtube. I am interested in hearing from users of the vise . . . I currently tie on a HMH Spartan.

If you are a dealer and sell other vises, and are going to say it's a bad vise, please don't bother.

-wayne

Normand Guest

it sounds as if your mind is already made up and dont want to hear any negative comments about the nor vise?

nothing is perfect

why not listen to comments good or bad. isnt that the best way to decide?

I want to hear good or bad . . . . Just not bad talk from folks that SELL other vises. I would rather hear from users of the product. I should have underlined "dealers" in my first post I guess . . . I have read other boards and found that some of the bad posts were from shop who did not carry the NorVise which in my mind skews the opinion a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    it sounds as if your mind is already made up and dont want to hear any negative comments about the nor vise?

nothing is perfect

why not listen to comments good or bad. isnt that the best way to decide?

My wife uses a Nor-Vise and loves it, though she stuill hasn't learned to use the vise to it's full potential. She ties everything from size 22 Tricos to 3/0 full dress salmon flies with it and has no complaints.

I bought the vise used (an older model) and had Norm upgrade the vise. What we got back was a brand new vise with all new components. He really stands by his tools, and is a great guy to deal with.

I can't offer an opinion of my own as VEE won't let me tie on her vise.

About seven years ago, I was tying on a DynaKing Baracuda (also a nice vise) and I had an opportunity to pick up a NorVise at a reasonable price, so I thought I'd give it a try. From the moment I tied on the NorVise, I loved it. I ended up selling the DynaKing simply because it was a shame to have such a nice vise going to waste.

My NorVise has made me a much better and faster fly tyer. I use the rotary feature on a regular basis and the automatic bobbins that Norm also sells are fantastic. Whenever I have to tie on another vise or to use non-automatic bobbins, it feels clunky and cumbersome.

When I experienced a slight problem with the jaws and contacted Norm, he immediately sent me a new set of jaws. His service is as terrific as his products.

As you can tell, I am a big NorVise fan and quite frankly, I wouldn't swap mine for any other vise on the market. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

I borrowed one from a club member to try for a week. Personally, I didn't care for it, and as I was tying at shows for awhile, it was also cumbersome to tote along. I went back to my Renzetti traveler with cam jaws and am very happy. I should add that I don't tie flies in any volume, and I can see where the Nor-Vise would excel in this regard.

On the other hand I have a good friend on this board who LOVES his No-Vise and found a way to travel with it without breaking it all down and stowing it. We often tied at the same shows and both liked our decisions.

If I were you, I would try to borrow one for a trial just to make sure you're going to enjoy it, especially since it's an investment of significant dollars. I think this is a vise that a fly tier either loves, tolerates or hates it. But that's the way it is with all vises, which is why there are several successful manufacturers of different style vises.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

We used to have one on the counter with the other vises. Guys would come by and 'fiddle' with most of them. We replaced the jaws half a dozen times in a year or so from them chipping. Finally took it off the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I borrowed one from a club member to try for a week. Personally, I didn't care for it, and as I was tying at shows for awhile, it was also cumbersome to tote along.
    I borrowed one for a bit longer than Joe, and had the same experience. Needs too much real estate to tie with, does not travel well, and pretty much requires those goofy (to me) automatic bobbins that I also never really liked. I know quite a few folks who have them but almost never tie on them. I also know a few who love them. I personally think they are best for certain types of flies, but not as versatile as more mainstream vises. YMMV.

Got a nor-vise for my tying table vise, ended up selling my renzetti and my regal.

5 years later still love it, and there is no one that backs their vise like Norm. Have you ever called Regal and had "Mr. Regal" answer.

JC, I can't even imagine chipping a jaw on these, had a few chips in my regal though.

Versatile - nothing else ties 28 - 9/0 (yes I have) without changing the jaws. Nothing else spins, dubs, wraps tinsel or feathers, switches to a tube fly and back to a salmon fly vise like this one. I'm sure glad it's not as versatile as the "more standard" vises.

There is a learning curve with the bobbin etc., however once you get the norvise paradigm you won't go back.

Maybe tying in hand is easier to travel with but not by much.

Something we got from Norm that made traveling with VEE's Nor-Vise easier are the clamps that allow the vise and bobbin post to be clamped to just about any table edge. Her whole travel kit packs down smaller than mine and she's very happy with it.

The Nor-Bobbins are one of my favorite tools. Once you get used to the clutch system pulling your thread back, it really speeds tying on just about any vise.

+ Reply to Thread