+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass on a 5wt..

Hybrid View

Default Bass on a 5wt..

I mostly fish for bass and have a couple of 5wt that I rarely use anymore. But, I want to because the smallies I catch aren't that big. I just have trouble throwning the size flies they like with them. 2-6 poppers etc. been using a 6wt to make it easier. Would uplining the 5wt help get bigger flies to turn over better?
    Janus

Yes a larger line would be make it a bit easier to throw the larger flies. The question is, will your 5 wt handle the larger line ok? If casting distances are shorter, than it may . . . but if you are casting longer distances and it's a slow rod, it may not do as well. So it depend on casting distance, rod action . . . Try it and find out. Go to a local shop and try one of their parking lot lines.

Another option is lean toward the smaller flies. This is an interesting fly. It's Jack Ellis's Fence Rider Bug. It's a small deer hair but that he says can be thrown on a 5 wt.

-wayne

I have a 4wt rod that I have uplined with a 6wt line and a sz2 popper is no problem to toss with it.You might want to try a 7wt line on your rod and see how it goes.These graphite rods can cast at least 1 or 2 line weights up or down.I use the line recommendation as just that,a recommendation and not an absolute.

thanks wayne one is on the slower side(orvis clearwater mid flex) and one is on the med/fast side(st. croix premier), at least that's the way they feel to me. Might be the profile of the flies that are giving me trouble too.But I haven't fished the 5wts in a long time. What about these "Bass Bug" lines or something with a shorter head like a Headstart line by SA? use 3wt for gill 6wt for bass and 8wt for steelhead. Really no "classic trout streams" in Cleveland Ohio.. Trying to justify my other purchases..
    Janus

I use a 5 wgt for most of my smallmouth fishing. It's slow action and when I have used my 6 wgt line with it cast fairly well. This is when I trying to push my 5-6 inch streamers and my size 2 poppers and sliders. My 5 wgt handles bait fish patterns up to 4 inches without a problem and size 4 and smaller sliders and poppers.

I typically use a 7wt bass bug taper on my 5wt rods when using them for bass and panfish angling with poppers and other surface bugs or small clouser minnows. I'm rarely casting more than 45 feet, often less including leader, when I do this. Each of my 4 different 5wt rods from moderate to fast action perform just fine with the 7wt line.

Blog Entries

If you have some bigger lines, take them out and give them all a "test ride". I bet one or more will suit your needs.

I have not seen the flies you are throwing or your casting style, so not sure how helpful this will be. I use a 5 wt for smallies and sometimes even a 4 or 3 wt (fish tend toward smaller size around me also) without uplining. If I want to throw a larger popper or other fly, I slow my casting rhythm and use an oval shaped forward cast. This seems to give the fly more momentum.

Default I'll share too

I bought a few months ago one of those cabelas sli flyrods when they were discontinueing the line and got the 8' 5 weight in two piece just for pond bass.One thing that might help i use a line like rio grand or sa mastery gpx which is a half line size larger than the actual line so a 5 weight would really be 5 1/2,also i use rio nymph line which has a bullet type of front end made to turn over large indicators,wind resistant flies or poppers.You may want to also use bass leaders not trout leaders the bass having a larger butt section to help turn the flies over.I have read somewhere that most fives will throw to a 4 or 6 size fly,a four weight to a size 8.

I use my 5/6 weight on the Rocky River at times for smallmouth as I normally don't seem to catch many big ones. Maybe I should try bigger flies and my 7 weight and I would catch bigger smallies?
    Erich

+ Reply to Thread