+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hackle for mini-buggers?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    I just promised my wife that I wouldn't buy any more fly tying material for the next couple of months if she would go easy on her Macy's credit card. I'd love to give Denny a call but unfortunately I am a man of his word.
    You asked her to "go easy" on her Macy's card, not to stop using it. Why don't you call Denny and "go easy" on your phone call?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Deja vue, all over again!

Once again, Hello All and thank you for the suggestions,

I sat down last night and tied a dozen black mini-bugger which combined the suggestions from a lot of people. I've checked over my saddles and capes and still lack the webby, long feathers for a size #12 or #14 mini bugger, in fact even hackling a size #10 would be a challenge. My feathers seem most appropriate for #8 and larger. SOOOOOO, I did my own version bi-bugger suggested by Doug and Al's front-hackled bugger. I used a very small dry-fly hackle (about #16-18 hackle) on the back two thirds of the fly for bugginess and webby hen hackle on the front third for motion. The dry-fly hackle didn't extend past the gap of the hook and the hen hackle over topped the middle dry-fly hackle nicely for about half the body. I like this fly a lot and will try it out soon if South Carolina ever gets any water.

Pete, I will definitely check out the Whiting hen saddle. You've got a great home page. Doug was kind enough suggest going there for further information. Gurgle Pops rule!

Joe and Blue Dun, I'm working on becoming more dishonest. I'm beginning to think that it wouldn't hurt to call Tom or Denny and just do a little pricing of hen saddles. In the excitement of the call whose to say what might happen.

I'm pretty pleased with my bi-buggers. Thanks again for all the assistance. 8T

Hey 8T

Try the pattern from this site : http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc...bead-head.aspx The Lil' Bugger works well for me. The tail is rabbit and the body is ostrich herl. Perfect size for a #10 or #12. I tie on a 3 or 4 xl hook.

Good Luck,
    Jay

Hen hackle. What can I say, I'm a woman of few words.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

8T,

That's part of the reason I started tying tiny leech patterns instead of mini-buggers. The other part of the reason is durability. I tie mini-leeches on 12-14 hooks with a dubbing brush and seal fur. Nice and buggy, with lots of action in the water and almost indestructable. They are my top producers in the spring.

Jim Smith

Hey 8t,

I just bought a Whiting Farms Bugger Pack from Bob Mariotts in Fullerton, CA. They are perfect for tying small buggers in sizes 8 through 14 and plenty long enough for that single feather fly you want. They come in all colors, I bought a grizzly dyed one and was impressed with the length. I know what you mean by the hassle of tying with two hackles. Give them a try, I think this is what your looking for.

Beaver

Another vote here for hen hackle (good stuff no the chines stuff). I learned a fly called a soft hackle wooley worm. I tie it on 12 and 14 it fished like a bugger. Tail is a clump of rabbit fur not wool like the traditional fly. Body is an antron dubbing blend. Which use brush to meld into the hackle. TO tie the fly properly you use 2 feather per fly....after the tail tie in the smaller hackle dub half the body palmer the hackle forward...tie in the front hackle...dub front half..plamer fron hackle...tie off then brush...This pattern I learn from a Rich Osthoff book...worked great this past summer.

Default hackels feathers

I'm suprised that no one mentioned Hareline Wooly Bugger hackles. The most feathers for the money with the size to tie many different size flies.
    I can tie three or more size 16 flies with one feather.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    Here is an image of a Bi-Bugger; http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/imag...-bi-bugger.jpg
    Doug
    Funny I do the same thing with eztaz bigger chartreuse up front and smaller black in back over maribou. It is a fly that is in the book trout flies of the east. Tied by jim hester.
    Last edited by Chrisdindover; 10-12-2008 at 05:18 AM.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Further bugger developments

Hi Folks,

I had a small crack in my honesty combined with a moment of weakness yesterday. Several people spoke so highly of Hareline Bugger Packs, both here and by PM, that I ordered a couple just to see if I shared their enthusiasm. I have already justified this momentary slip with the excuse that I too am "going easy" on fly tying materials (thanks BlueDun).

I really do like the Bi-Buggers (gosh, that sounds so gay) that I tied with the small dry fly hackle at the rear and larger, webby hen hackle toward the eye. The Hareline Packs just received such rave reviews, I had to try them. Thanks again to everyone who has suggested solutions to the short hackle problem. 8T

+ Reply to Thread