While wading or in a boat or float tube have you ever had a close call.

Some years ago I was fishing the Battenkill when I came upon a beautiful looking pool. A large tree had fallen in the river right where a small stream flowed into it.. The top of the tree was out into a deep and very fishy looking pool that seemed at least 5 foot deep. Leading into this pool was a long smooth riffle gradiant that, where it broke from above, was little over ankle deep but gradually deepened . It was a very fine gravel and It was about 12 or 15 feet in length. Without realizing it I had worked myself about half way down. Suddenly I could feel the gravel washing out from beneath my feet and the water pressure kept pushing me toward the deep water. I was suddenly mid thigh deep! For a couple of seconds I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Should I lunge for the tree which was to my left, or, let the current take me and try to 'tip-toe' through the deep water. Deep water is often deeper than it looks. I could not back up. Worse, when I looked out at the slanted moving water it made me dizzy...vertigo of a sort. At first I was going to try to grab for the tree branches . I turned sideways to face the tree. This took considerable effort. The nearest branch was just iches away and slightly up stream. I found I could inch my way back up stream as long as I remained in that sideway position. I forgot about grabbing the branch as it was deepening in that direction too so I continued inching back upstream still sideways.. It took me several minutes to work my way back and I found myself needing to get to shore, sit down and catch my breath.
I stay away from slanted runs like that now and I never wade with out a staff. Once was enough!
How about you? Do you have a story to tell?