+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you build rods, what do you do with them?

Default So you build rods, what do you do with them?

I must say that I'm truly inspired by some of the work I've seen in this forum...but one nagging question keeps popping into my head; What is the incentive to build custom rods~is it personal, or professional? In other words, you invest all this money getting setup to do it...build a number of less than perfect rods while you learn the craft (presumably) at a significant cost..and for what? Don't get me wrong, I make all kinds of emotion-based, expensive-fishing-gear decisions all the time, and AM feeling the temptation to get into rod building. The logical side of me is saying that I'll get all the gear, make a few rods, then have to invest alot in blanks to continue the hobby. The number of rods I actually need is "zero"...but I know I would want to keep at it.

Trying to understand, needing some direction..or argument to get into yet ANOTHER fishing-related obsession! lol

Cheers,
    TZB

I build to fish them really. I have built a 6wt and a 4wt and I know the rods inside and out and there is a connection that I have with them. They aren't "perfect" by others standard but they are perfect for me. I really enjoy the process of building and the guide placement the color choices. Putting the stripping guide where it is most comfortable for you and casting it for the first time. I have slowed a bit on building but it is a great craft to get involved with...
    Janus

Blog Entries

First, you don't have to spend a lot of money to get started. You can get a basic wrapping set up for under $50, and turn your rods by hand during drying, or even use a cardboard box and a flytying bobbin to wrap on. Or you can get a wrapper and dryer for under $100 easily.
    I got into it because I wanted to try something new, and now I do it because I can do a bit of research and build a rod that can perform equivalent or better than rods that cost 2 to 3 times as much. You have access to most OEM blanks, as well as some other manufacturers that make very nice blanks that are amazing values and can't be bought off the shelf. Batson, dorber, Tiger-eye, and Dan Craft are good examples of this. I should also note that I have developed certain preferences for my rods, and I've found I can't get them the way I want them from the store. Now I build them because the best way to get what you want is to do it yourself.
    If you want some economy rods to build, check out the rod swap threads in this forum. You can build up an e-glass rod up for easily under $50. If you don't like it, you can always use it to refine your building skills, then donate it somewhere like project healing waters, or use it to get a kid started in the sport. I started building up a spinning rod, then went to a fly rod. I still use both of those rods. The first one doesn't look particularly good, but it fishes nice. My second rod (the fly rod) is a nice rod, and I still enjoy fishing with it on occasion. I've also built rods for my wife, my kids, several friends, and a couple of others as well.
    I spend a lot of time researching and looking at closeouts/overstocks and have come up with some fantastic buys. I have a 2 weight built on a Batson RX8. The blank alone normally ran around $100 at the time, but I got a closeout deal, and ended up building the entire rod with a custom wood seat for around $50. It is an awesome little 2 weight.
    I've found that the money I've saved on rods has more than paid for my equipment. My "high-dollar" rod has cost me around $200, one at $125 and the rest in the sub $100 range I have 2 rods that I would put up against most anything on the market regardless of their price.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 10-02-2008 at 03:57 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thezugbug View Post
    The logical side of me is saying that I'll get all the gear, make a few rods, then have to invest alot in blanks to continue the hobby.
    heres a rod swap on this site that has a $25 limit for parts

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=23668

you can go a cheap or as extravagant as you like when it comes to rod blanks and components.

1 advantage is the cost of rolling your own to your own specifications vs buying a $500+ assembly line mass produced rod

I build a lot of rods. Unlike most I hate diamond wraps and snakeskin and all the other stuff people put on rods. do I admire people who do that yes! I have done it as well . I built my own wrapper out of scrap material I cut off of a pallet and stuff I had laying around. Cost me under $20.00. Got my dryer from ebay $24.00. Built a cork press for attaching the cork to the rod and the reel seat cost under $3.00. do they look preaty HE double toothpick no but they work. I build spinning, casting and fly rods. I gve my first ones to my friends and family. My son who could not cast a fly rod more then 20 feet got a 3wt from me that he casts almost all the line on it and has better action then a rod I bought for 3 times the money. He is my greatest salesman. I have built rods that sold for more money then I care to think about. A very good builder told me not to sale myself short. He was right. I build the style of rod I like to build at the cost I like to charge. It is more of a personnal satisfaction to me much like tying your own fly's and catching a fish on them. It only has to be as expensive as you want it to be. It is very easy to build a very good fishable rod for under $100.00 and as previously mentioned it will fish as good or better then the rods costing 3 times as much. If you decide to enter into this very dark hole be advised it is addictive. There are a lot of good builders here such as steve from midwest custom rods, smersky, ol blue, and many more just to name a few. If I can help in anyway let me know. Oh yes never never never be ashamed of a rod you build. It has your energy, love, and affection put into it so it is the best there is. BOB
    Last edited by harleybob87; 10-02-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling

I've built rods for myself and for friends.The quality is way better than a factory rod of the equivalent price. As to the expense for the building gear and supplies: a) the more you build the quicker you recover the costs and b) even the total cost of supplies and gear (see the cardboard box wrapping stand above or building your own jig out of scrap wood) is still less expensive.

I just built a 6 wt Dan Craft rod with an expensive grip/seat that I had custom crafted and the total cost still came in at half the price of a Sage or Winston rod. And let me tell you, it's every bit as good as either, it not better (I own and have used several Sages, and I think it performs better). Aestetically, it is better and I know the comoponents are way above those premium brands. Remember, it IS a custome rod- built the way you want it, not in a method that will appeal to the masses.

Take the plunge and go for it. It's not rocket science- if I can do it anyone can. Just take your time and do it right. If you have any questions, there are plenty of professionals on this and other sites who are more than happy to assist you if you have any questions or problems. Believe me, I questioned the heck out of several and I admire their patience.

John
    Last edited by Hooligan; 10-03-2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: addition

Thumbs up

Hooligan,

When I build a rod, I either use it myself or I give it to a family member or I donate it to a worthy organization.....Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

It seems your basic premise is that a production rod is perfect and a self built rod is not. Maybe your right-- there is a learning curve - but overall, if you follow some basic instructions and are careful, what you build with your own hands will be pretty good.

Some people need and want the most expensive "whatever" because they just feel better knowing they spent a lot of money to obtain it -- and it has the name or logo to flash around-- i.e. the so called bling. "Homemade" in their mind is second best.

Other folks get a great amount of satisfaction in knowing they are fishing with flies they have tied and using a rod they built themselves. I get a great amount of satisfaction from both of the above. I have the Winston's, Sages, etc. but I love fishing my own rods.

As for cost, a basic kit can be had for well under $100. And, many fly shops will rent the drying motor or wrapping stand for a few bucks. So, you aren't into it very much. Some fly shops will teach classes on rod building. As for time, if you know what your doing, you can fit the cork and glue up the handle and reel seat one evening in about an hour and then wrap the whole rod the next day and either apply the finish to the wraps that evening or the next morning.

Give it a try, I think you will find a great deal of satisfaction with your home made rod.

Smile Rookie Thoughts

I'm a rookie by most standards having built only about 10 rods. But, I love the satisfaction of building a rod to my specifications (likes), and you will develop preferences the more familair you become with building process and blanks. Now, I haven't built on a lot of different blanks, but I really love the Rainshadow blanks. There are others I plan to build on as time moves on such as the Dan Craft Five Rivers line. I've built for family and friends and give them a lifetime guarantee, as long as I'm on this earth. Ha! Ha! In my opnion you can easily build a $125-$150 rod that is the equivalent of many of the pricey company-made sticks in the $300 and over range. Talk about saving money! Well, a buddy gave me a wooden wrapper he made himself because he had 2. One of our very nice builders on this site made and sent me a cork lathe. If you are good with a saw and tools you can easily build these things yourself and all the necessary directions can be found on this site. I'm very bad when it comes to constructing things. I saved a lot of money because of those guys. Any of these people on this site will be glad to help you in any way. they have never let me down. So, take the plunge, and remember, you'll never stop at one.

Here's what made it all worthwhile for me.
    I have a nephew that I've taught to tie and fish flies. When he was about 15 years old I made him a fly rod and surprised him with it on the first day of trout in PA. This big, tough athlete doesn't like to admit he has a sensitive side, but we all know he has one. I presented him with the rod as we geared up to walk to the creek. He hugged me tightly with tears in his eyes and thanked me. That's a sappy story, I know, but it motivates me.

Smile

I know what Fishbum a FAOL member bamboo rod builder does with some of his rods. He has donated another great 7 ft 2 wt bamboo to our club raffle. Thanks again Jerry BILL

+ Reply to Thread