Thread: So you build rods, what do you do with them?

Threaded View

I've built rods for myself and for friends.The quality is way better than a factory rod of the equivalent price. As to the expense for the building gear and supplies: a) the more you build the quicker you recover the costs and b) even the total cost of supplies and gear (see the cardboard box wrapping stand above or building your own jig out of scrap wood) is still less expensive.

I just built a 6 wt Dan Craft rod with an expensive grip/seat that I had custom crafted and the total cost still came in at half the price of a Sage or Winston rod. And let me tell you, it's every bit as good as either, it not better (I own and have used several Sages, and I think it performs better). Aestetically, it is better and I know the comoponents are way above those premium brands. Remember, it IS a custome rod- built the way you want it, not in a method that will appeal to the masses.

Take the plunge and go for it. It's not rocket science- if I can do it anyone can. Just take your time and do it right. If you have any questions, there are plenty of professionals on this and other sites who are more than happy to assist you if you have any questions or problems. Believe me, I questioned the heck out of several and I admire their patience.

John
    Last edited by Hooligan; 10-03-2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: addition