+ Reply to Thread

Thread: very determine fish!

Hybrid View

Default very determine fish!

went out for a couple of hours at a local pond near home, got tons of Gills and other some bass.

Any how was using one my favorite surface poppers and wham .... it took it, then spit the hook. Cast out in the same spot and less the minute wham it took again, but lost it again! Now really determined, I manage to hit the same spot again, about a minute or so later wham, he hit again, but this time got the hook set good. If that was the same fish, it was one determined fish to hit it 3 times

it ended up to be a small bass about 2#'s and didn't have my camera, cell phone was in the car too far away to go back and get it. released the little guy and maybe he'll visit my popper another day

very interesting day.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Him was HONGRY!!
    I've had similar experiences on Tiny Torpedo's (in my pre-Fly days.)
    Actually, I figgered it was more Pi$$ed than hungry. I love it when they do that, tho.

Kirk

Hi Mike,

As I was reading it I figured it was a bass. I have never found a big bluegill to do that.

Regards,

Gandolf

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Another possible explanation

Hi Mickalo,

It's possible that you might have had one very determined fish there but it you might also have been casting into an area that had a school of hungry bass hanging around. I generally find that once a fish has had a lure jerked out of it's mouth, it tends not to hit again even if it avoided the hook point completely. There's no way to no for sure and your explanation is just as possible as mine. Sounds like you had some fun. Take care! 8T

that's very possible. I've never had that happen before, not in that short span of time ... but it was a real rush

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Blog Entries

Those little feists are tons of fun!

In my pre fly days, on Lake of the Ozarks, I had a bluegill jump out of the water and land on a rock where I had miscast my mepps spinner.

Or watching a carp temporarily beach itself, going after crayfish when it was pinning them against rocks on the Des Plaines River. I didn't even know how to present my fly to that fish. I probably should have just dove on it.

But I agree, bass (largemouth and smallmouth) are probably the best for repetitive strikes. I've stopped trying to set the hook so hard when fishing top water, just to keep the fly in the zone, and get a second (third, fourth?) chance.

+ Reply to Thread