Any of you 'test' flies at home? On occassion, I have tried testing flies to see how they sit on/in water or how long they float. For the latter I was comparing different body materials.

Anyway, I failed to consider specific conditions that I could not identify and which may have effected the tests outcome. Perhaps someone with the correct background will be able to clarify those conditions I failed to consider and may be of interest to anyone who tries these homebrew type tests.

That is: I used tap water that is treated and I imagine has had purification chemicals added as well as some natural chemicals removed. Freestone rivers like the Beaverkill, Willow and others contain whatever is the natural state of the chemical make-up. So I ask:

* Is 'raw' water harder and more resiliant than tap water?
* Does the alteration of 'raw' water into tap water increase the softness and therefore makes it less resiliant to a floating fly?
* Does the natural movement, oxygen content and dirt content of river water add, subtract or not have any effect on the floatation of a fly?
* Do the results of glass tests or bathtub tests in the home accurately reflect what would happen in the natural environment?

Looking forward to your responses.

Allan