+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strike indicators?

Hybrid View

Justice League Guest

Default strike indicators?

I have never fished a strike indicator and recently saw a show on WFN about strike indicators and was wondering if it really works as well as they said it did? The other question I have is what kind of indicator do you find as the best? I mainly fish warm water but this year I am going to fish for trout more. Ok another question does anyone use them for warm water?

As normal I am humbled by everyones willingness to give advice
    Jason

I use them off and on depending on the situation.
    I use them on our local spring creek because the flies are small the tippets are light and the trout are finicky. They tend to spit out anything that doesn't feel right and the strike indicator helps detect the strike the few seconds quicker that make the difference. The indicator can also be used as a float to present the flies at any depth the fish are feeding at. I have had the day saved a few times by drifting a weighted emerger pattern mid depth.
    I use them for trib fishing browns and steelhead because it helps to control the depth and bounces the flies along the bottom just right.
    In larger free stone creeks I don't normally use them because I switch from nymph to dries and it is a pain to keep taking the indicator off.

Justice:

We had this thread going for the last week. There are some good ideas and opinions there.

And yes; I've used indicators many times for sunfish and bass. When I use them in warm water where I call them bobbers. It just seems right.

When using indicators for warmwater fish there is a high probablity that your indicator will end up being attacked by a hungry fish. Therefore I like to use a floating lure (popper, foam hopper, etc) as the indicator and a submerged fly (nmyph, wooly bugger, etc) as a dropper.

Tim

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up What Panman said!

Hi JL,

Getting to be about time to go fishing. On the strike indicator question, I'm with Panman. Give me a big, ol' hairy bug instead of a wad of hookless yarn. Just my 2% of a dollar. 8T

I use INDICATORS all the time. On stillwater I prefer two different ones. One for DEEP water will be the Styro Quick Release, that allows me to use a 20' to 30' leader. Also one called the POP TOP. It is a styro ball with a plastic stick through the middle and a rubber tube over one end. They are cool cause the stick will stick straight up if you are suspended and lay down to whatever side when drifting.
    For Rivers I prefer the "Thingamabober", but also a small styro ball and toothpick.
    In spring and fall when fish are closer to the surface or at least there is some surface action, I will use a Big Dry and a dropper.

WINDY DAYS, love float putty. Adds just a little Umph to the line.

While I carry a host of strike indicators, I too find them to be a nuisance after a while. I prefer to use the two flly system with a dry fly on top and a nymph attached to the bend of the dry fly hook. It also doubles the chances of hooking fish. Joe Humphreys says in his video on nymphing that he doesn't use indicators because he can feel the strike on his line as he encourages the use of the tuck cast to get the slack out.

Default When I can't highstick

When I can't highstick when nymphing, I will use a bobber. My favorite so far is the plain old styro ball with a stick, because, it is easy to change depths.

Fly Goddess - With indicators like the Thingamabob, do you have much trouble with kinks in your leader after you use them?
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Here's a link to one of the best indicators I've found. No kinking of the line, easy to put on and take off, very easy to adjust up or down the line, even with knots in the leader.

The best part for me is you can't throw these off the line like some indicators (bobbers). I have no affiliation with the manufacturer, I'm just a satisfied customer.

http://floatmasterco.net/
    Joe Bertolini

I just don't know how anybody can fly fish (nymph) without an indicator! Well I suppose you can, but gee you would need to maintain a great contact with the fly, not always an easy thing to do.

I include using a "dry" as an indicator also.

I use anything from a dry fly, a very small piece of coloured yarn or up to those enormous and ugly clip on things that seem to be the go in some big New Zealand waters.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread