+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Medalist question..

Hybrid View

Default Medalist question..

Does anyone know if the new Rim Control spools fit an old (pre DA) medalist? I can't seem to get a definitive answer and wanted to check before I ordered one. I have a 1595 but it is a late fifties left hand version of the 1495.
    Thanks,
    Janus

Janus,

The 1595RC spools will fit the older 1495 reels. The RC spools have a counterbalance weight on them to aid in the rim control action, but it shouldn't have an adverse effect on the older 1495.

Why not just buy a 1495 spool? It will be cheaper than the 1595RC spool. Cabelas has them.

Cheers,
    Richard in Plano TX

PS Check out the historical article on Medalists here on FAOL if you have the time

I'll just cast a little doubt in here...but Richard seems pretty sure.

I had older ones and when I went to RC I don't remember that they were interchangeable....maybe I changed sizes...unfortunately I can't check since I had all those reels stolen.

Why not just buy a 1495 spool? It will be cheaper than the 1595RC spool. Cabelas has them.

I have 3 of them now for this reel and wanted to try these out. I put together a shooting head system with long fast sinkers and figured "who knows what lurks down there"...rim control might come in handy..
    Thanks for the replies,
    Janus

I never cared for the 1500 RC model myself, the spools seem to corrode faster
    For the only 1500 I ever bought, I switched out the RC spool for a traditional 1400 spool. The opposite of what you plan to do
    I modified mine with this fancy customized drag for saltwater use

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Dudley you sent me those pics a while ago when I asked a similar question. I have been meaning to do that mod but have to get over the hurdle of taking a saw to a medalist..looks great though.

+ Reply to Thread