Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
Refresh my knowledge. What are the "public access" rules in idaho. I've only fished areas of public land, ie national forest areas, blm, etc. in Idaho.
Wouldn't want you to get in trouble taking my word for "rules" that apply out here. So, before you fish anywhere other than the public lands, check with Idaho Fish and Game for the regs and definitions that apply.

Having said that, generally, you can access any navigable moving water from bridge easements and at places posted as open by the property owner, or with permission from the owner. I believe that you can also cross undeveloped land that is not posted, even if fenced, but that is one that you really want to check carefully. Also, note that painting the top of fence posts red at regular intervals is the equivalent of putting up no trespassing signs.

Bridge easements are generally 60' wide so there is typically a fair amount of room on either side of the road to get to the water.

There are quite a few places around this area where property owners cooperate with F & G to provide access contingent on continuing good compliance with any posted restrictions and respect for the property and those who occupy it.

Lots of people will grant permission, if asked politely. Some aren't so nice.

Once you get to the water, you must stay within the usual high water mark. Some adjoining owners might give you some grief, so it is up to the individual how much he / she wants to push the issue. ( You can always use my line "Do you want to call the sherrif now or after you shoot me?" Just kidding. I've come close a couple times, but got the situation under control before uttering those words !! )

Like I said, it is up to you to read and understand the regs and ask for clarification if you are not sure. The above is intended only to give you a basis from which to consider visiting Idaho with the prospect of fishing public waters bounded by private land.

John