+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strike indicators

Hybrid View

Default strike indicators

I've tried several store bought indicators but not really happy with the way they work. I've heard people making their own and would like to give that a shot.

If you have good "recipe" or where I can find info for making your own, would appreciate it if you could steer me in the right direction.

thx's

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

People do make Yarn indicators but i find they do not cut it, i use corkies the ones with the toothpick, http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0017527316520a.shtml, and as the toothpick gets wet it swells and holds its self in place better

Nick

Blog Entries

I use these Lightning Strike, similar to corkies.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...cat=966&page=1

Easy to adjust with a toothpick. I don't like the yarn indicators, too wind resistant and hard to adjust.

thanks guys, I'll check those out

appreciate it.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Default balloons

I use the smallest water balloons you can buy and tie one to an "O" ring . Easy on / off . Also I use the tape backed foam for more delicate situations . When it gets windy or the water deep and / or fast , I'll go without an indicator .

Here's where I learned to do mine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo5ZvPlHcp0
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Hello Mike,

Like Nick, I wasn't too keen on yarn indicators, until I found and used these:

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/indicators/

Simple to make, very visible, lots of color combinations (two colors of yarn make them easier to see in different water conditions) and float extremely well. I like to brush some Frog's Fanny floatant into them for extra bouyancy.

Cheers,

Richard in Plano, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Komar View Post
    Hello Mike,

Like Nick, I wasn't too keen on yarn indicators, until I found and used these:

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/indicators/

Simple to make, very visible, lots of color combinations (two colors of yarn make them easier to see in different water conditions) and float extremely well. I like to brush some Frog's Fanny floatant into them for extra bouyancy.

Cheers,

Richard in Plano, TX
    Mike -

This is the model I used for my yarn indicators. Instead of spending bucks for the O-rings, I just use a piece of 15lb leader material.

Make a perfection loop in the leader material, about 1/4" in diameter. Clip the ends of leader material about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the knot.

Take a couple pieces of poly yarn ( I like chartruese and red combination best ) about two inches long and thread them through the perfection loop. Pull the yarn tight to the top of the loop and start some 3/0 fly tying thread. Wrap it enough to secure it and then apply a liberal coat of head cement.

Clip the yarn to the desired length. I use the same approach and amount of material for very small indicators for single nymphs in small streams to indicators large enough to float with a couple size 6 weighted stonefly nymphs.

The indicators will float for hours with only an initial application of floatant ( I like Loon Aquel ). And they are nearly indestructible - will last many, many outings.

Attaching these indicators to the leader can be done with the "loop to loop" technique shown in the link or with a simple overhand knot. I generally use the loop to loop technique when fishing with a furled leader, and the overhand knot when fishing big nymphs on mono leaders.

Lots of people don't like overhand knots - but they will only weaken the leader if they close on themselves. Since the overhand knot is not closing on itself, just wrapping around the loop on the indicator, it doesn't damage the leader. Also, the overhand knot ensures that the indicator will not slide down the leader, and it is very easy to adjust the distance to the first fly below the indicator.

If you want a photo, let me know.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

if you have a picture, that would great. Sounds like a real easy way to make your own indicators

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Mike -

This is the model I used for my yarn indicators. Instead of spending bucks for the O-rings, I just use a piece of 15lb leader material.

Make a perfection loop in the leader material, about 1/4" in diameter. Clip the ends of leader material about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the knot.

Take a couple pieces of poly yarn ( I like chartruese and red combination best ) about two inches long and thread them through the perfection loop. Pull the yarn tight to the top of the loop and start some 3/0 fly tying thread. Wrap it enough to secure it and then apply a liberal coat of head cement.

Clip the yarn to the desired length. I use the same approach and amount of material for very small indicators for single nymphs in small streams to indicators large enough to float with a couple size 6 weighted stonefly nymphs.

The indicators will float for hours with only an initial application of floatant ( I like Loon Aquel ). And they are nearly indestructible - will last many, many outings.

Attaching these indicators to the leader can be done with the "loop to loop" technique shown in the link or with a simple overhand knot. I generally use the loop to loop technique when fishing with a furled leader, and the overhand knot when fishing big nymphs on mono leaders.

Lots of people don't like overhand knots - but they will only weaken the leader if they close on themselves. Since the overhand knot is not closing on itself, just wrapping around the loop on the indicator, it doesn't damage the leader. Also, the overhand knot ensures that the indicator will not slide down the leader, and it is very easy to adjust the distance to the first fly below the indicator.

If you want a photo, let me know.

John

I like yarn indicators. The key is getting the right yarn. Try to find some polypropylene macrame yarn. A lifetime supply can usually be found on ebay. Here is a link that shows basically how I make mine, except I chuck a needle up in my flytying vise and tie them on that.

http://flyfisherman.com/skills/jmindicator/

+ Reply to Thread