Just to clarify...

My wife and I grew up around boats. I lived on a lake in northern MN and we always had 2 or 3 craft in the water at the end of the dock (that is, unless it was winter). I have a reasonable amount of experience in 18 foot aluminum boats.

My wife's family owned a series of runabouts and pontoon boats while she was growing up. Our families certainly had different ownership purposes. Let's just say her family's boats were pretty, ours were camo.

We really have been talking about boats for the past 10 years, but there were two main things holding me back:

1) I didn't have a use for one. I have never liked trolling for walleye, and I have really enjoyed fly fishing. It wasn't until the past couple years that I tried saltwater fly fishing. So up until recently, it hasn't made any sense for me to have one. My wife on the other hand just wants to cruise around local lakes. She's always ready for that.

2) We couldn't agree on a boat. Her ideal boat is about a 24 foot bowrider. I question my ability to handle a bowrider over about 19 feet by myself (trailering/launching). Those I/O driven bowriders get HEAVY. We were this | | close to buying an 18' Crownline bowrider about 2 years ago, but I looked at how much we were going to be spending, and how much I could honestly see using it, and the math didn't work.

In this case, the Sea Pro was over a third less than the abovementioned Crownline, and with the addition of saltwater and striper opportunities, it appeared to make more sense. Then looking around at perceptions, now is the "perfect storm" to buy a new boat. Dealers haven't been moving inventory, consumer credit is getting harder to get (one major company just quit writing boat loans), and Sea Pro was discontinued earlier this year (but will still be warrantied by Brunswick). It all added up to a good time to make a deal. When I found the boat I wanted that was fully loaded, the family made a snap decision.

It's a different boat than anything I've spent much time in. We're going slowly, and I'm taking the time to think things through before I do them (like drilling holes in the console!). She Who Must Be Obeyed likes this boat a lot. It's not a bowrider, but it has the full cushion package to turn the casting deck into a sun lounge. That and the bimini top completely sealed the deal.