+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First striper in the new boat

Hybrid View

Default First striper in the new boat

A couple weeks ago I posted that I had caught my first striper. That was thanks to a local guy named Dean Campbell taking me out and showing me some of how he fishes for them. That set off a chain reaction at home with She Who Must Be Obeyed reminding me that she has wanted a boat for 10 years, and I'm the one who would not buy one. She told me that she didn't care what it was, as long as it was a boat. So this is what it is:

A 19' Sea Pro bay boat. This will be used for local stripers, FL and Carolinas redfish, MN steelhead, and general purpose pleasure boating.

Yesterday was my first opportunity to take it out and fish. I was using the same setup Mr. Campbell recommended, in the same location.

30 minutes in I had a strike, and fought the fish for about 30 seconds before I executed a long-distance (50 foot) release. I motored back to the head of the cove and started drifting again. Halfway back up to the dam, I had a strike. As soon as the fish realized he was hooked, he went absolutely nuts. At one point I looked down and realized I had 3 turns of fly line left on the reel. No fish has ever taken line from me like that before. I didn't know what would give up first - me, the fish, my rod, or my tippet.

When I got the fish to the surface, I started cursing to high heaven - you see, I don't own a landing net yet. It was big. The only fish bigger than this that I've caught was a Lake Trout, and that was on a beach rod with heavy line and a huge landing net. Here I am with this fish and a fly rod, and I've got to lip the sucker. Got it in the boat, and snapped this picture:

The distance from my reel to the stripping guide is about 27 1/2". So I'm guessing that this fish was 23 or 24 inches, and probably somewhere in the 7 lb range. Not bad for a first fish. Expensive fish, but nice fish.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Afraid that you were the one hooked!

Hi Esquire,

You've got a very nice fish there and a very nice boat. I think you made a good choice with that rig; it should serve you well in a variety of fishing situations. Be very careful that you do not hook "She Who Must Be Obeyed" when she is sunbathing and you are fishing. It could be the last time that a fishing rod is allowed in the boat. BTW, one week later after catching your first striper, you have a new boat. I would say that the striper hooked you instead of the other way around. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 09-27-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hi Esquire,

You've got a very nice fish there and a very nice boat. I think you made a good with that rig; it should serve you well in a variety of fishing situations. Be very careful that you do not hook "She Who Must Be Obeyed" when she is sunbathing and you are fishing. It could be the last time that a fishing rod is allowed in the boat. BTW, one week later after catching your first striper, you have a new boat. I would say that the striper hooked you instead of the other way around. 8T
    It was TWO weeks.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up I still think the striper got you!

Oh, two whole weeks between your first striper and buying your first boat. Esquire, you're just fine----really. No problem here at all. No twelve step plan from Stripers Anonymous in your future---no sir! 8T

92Esquire,
    Your boat & striper are very nice! This Forum might help you (pretend you own a wirl instead of a Pro? ; http://www.seaswirl.com/forums/index.cfm?forumid=3
    I owned boats for years and it is VERY important for you to be prepared and safe.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Congrat's on the new boat, and fish!!!

Have a great weekend on the boat!

chris

Just to clarify...

My wife and I grew up around boats. I lived on a lake in northern MN and we always had 2 or 3 craft in the water at the end of the dock (that is, unless it was winter). I have a reasonable amount of experience in 18 foot aluminum boats.

My wife's family owned a series of runabouts and pontoon boats while she was growing up. Our families certainly had different ownership purposes. Let's just say her family's boats were pretty, ours were camo.

We really have been talking about boats for the past 10 years, but there were two main things holding me back:

1) I didn't have a use for one. I have never liked trolling for walleye, and I have really enjoyed fly fishing. It wasn't until the past couple years that I tried saltwater fly fishing. So up until recently, it hasn't made any sense for me to have one. My wife on the other hand just wants to cruise around local lakes. She's always ready for that.

2) We couldn't agree on a boat. Her ideal boat is about a 24 foot bowrider. I question my ability to handle a bowrider over about 19 feet by myself (trailering/launching). Those I/O driven bowriders get HEAVY. We were this | | close to buying an 18' Crownline bowrider about 2 years ago, but I looked at how much we were going to be spending, and how much I could honestly see using it, and the math didn't work.

In this case, the Sea Pro was over a third less than the abovementioned Crownline, and with the addition of saltwater and striper opportunities, it appeared to make more sense. Then looking around at perceptions, now is the "perfect storm" to buy a new boat. Dealers haven't been moving inventory, consumer credit is getting harder to get (one major company just quit writing boat loans), and Sea Pro was discontinued earlier this year (but will still be warrantied by Brunswick). It all added up to a good time to make a deal. When I found the boat I wanted that was fully loaded, the family made a snap decision.

It's a different boat than anything I've spent much time in. We're going slowly, and I'm taking the time to think things through before I do them (like drilling holes in the console!). She Who Must Be Obeyed likes this boat a lot. It's not a bowrider, but it has the full cushion package to turn the casting deck into a sun lounge. That and the bimini top completely sealed the deal.

+ Reply to Thread