+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNI Tread

Hybrid View

Angry UNI Tread

Does anyone else have as hard of a time with this thread? I use Danville and Ultra and love both. I bought some UNI 3/0 a good time back and stopped using it mid spool because it breaks easy when the whip finish is trying to get done.

The spool I am using has a W on it, but seems like it is not smooth at all and when it breaks it just shreds. I can say that I am pretty happy that I don't have much of it, but still would like to use it since I paid for it. However I am not sure it's worth all the pain it brings when tying.

I would have thought that the W would mean waxed, but it sure seems like it has so much tension from it self that how can it be waxed?

Sorry for the vent, but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and maybe warn some that all thread is not created equal for sure.

Also if anyone likes this stuff I have some for sale cheap, LOL!

Skip

Dunno but I do have a spool of 8.0 Uni in Black that is CRAP, breaks if you look at it crooked and I have a Ruby tipped bobbin.

I suppose all things of this nature can have faults and for $1.85 I am not sure why I haven't just chucked it....oddly enough, this same spool is what caused me to question my orginal bobbin and spend 19 bucks on the Ruby Tip.

Although I've not been tying flies all that long compared to most guys, I've yet to have any problems with Uni Thread myself. I've acquired several spools of it, from 3/0 up to 8/0 and it's held just fine.
    That being said, I do like the Ultra thread better.
    Mark 1:17

I've been using the Uni for about 9 years and have not gotten a bad spool yet. There have been times when I've experienced breakage and I attributed that to my bobbin because when I switched bobbins I had no more breakage. Of late I've been using some of the 12/0 Bennecchi thread and I love it.

Hi,

I use Uni threads in 6/0 and 8/0 quite a bit and have never had any major problems except with some bobbins that had a burr (would shred floss). However, if the thread was sitting in the shop for a long time, then it's probably past it's prime. I've never used 3/0, but I would think it should be pretty tough stuff. Odd that it's breaking when you whip finish as I only ever break thread when tying on material - but then I whip finish by hand.

- Jeff

I agree its odd that the thread should break when whip finishing and not during the tying. Have you checked for burrs on your whip finisher? Are you whip finishing with a Thompson or Materelli?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Unhappy Same problem with Uni 3/0, Fritz!

Hi Skip,

I use Uni 6/0 and 8/0 for a good deal of my fly tying and have no complaints with either, in fact I find both threads to be highly acceptable. I don't use 3/0 often and have only a couple of spools of Uni in this size, but my 3/0 chartreuse thread has been a constant source of problem with my whip finishes. I've approached this difficulty from a number of different angles and it seems to me the weave or twist of the thread leaves a highly rough, abrasive surface which tends to bind during the final stages of the whip finishing process and requires more and more pressure to finish the knot. The thread may either break from this closing force or just cut itself as you pull the knot tight. My solution is simple----half hitches. A little bees wax might also help the knot close. My favorite 3/0 thread is waxed Monocord which glides closed on whip finishes. I'm trying to use this 3/0 Uni Thread up and will not purchase more. Just my 2% of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree----they always do! 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hi Skip,

I use Uni 6/0 and 8/0 for a good deal of my fly tying and have no complaints with either, in fact I find both threads to be highly acceptable. I don't use 3/0 often and have only a couple of spools of Uni in this size, but my 3/0 chartreuse thread has been a constant source of problem with my whip finishes. I've approached this difficulty from a number of different angles and it seems to me the weave or twist of the thread leaves a highly rough, abrasive surface which tends to bind during the final stages of the whip finishing process and requires more and more pressure to finish the knot. The thread may either break from this closing force or just cut itself as you pull the knot tight. My solution is simple----half hitches. A little bees wax might also help the knot close. My favorite 3/0 thread is waxed Monocord which glides closed on whip finishes. I'm trying to use this 3/0 Uni Thread up and will not purchase more. Just my 2% of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree----they always do! 8T
    Sounds a lot like my problem and I use a Wasatch Matarelli whip finish tool. I only have this thread in a few colors and all seem to be just bad. I have some tan that I am sure I have seen it dust when it breaks. It goes on very dull too. I will never buy any more of this stuff and maybe it's just the 3/0, but I am not sure. The red is so dull looking that it gets more red when I apply some home made Flexament or any thing wet.

Just looked and I do have some 6/0 UNI that I like a good bit, but it is not the same at all. I buy it for the colors though.

Skip

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Sunlight and time

Skip,

From what you are telling me now, it sounds like you have come across some old thread that had too much exposure to bright lights or direct sun light. I've had to toss some of my old Herter's thread because of old age. It was good reliable tying thread years ago but it began breaking unpredictable and lost it's glossy appearance. I doubt that your Uni was over 20 years old but who knows what it might have been exposed to before you purchased it. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Skip,

From what you are telling me now, it sounds like you have come across some old thread that had too much exposure to bright lights or direct sun light. I've had to toss some of my old Herter's thread because of old age. It was good reliable tying thread years ago but it began breaking unpredictable and lost it's glossy appearance. I doubt that your Uni was over 20 years old but who knows what it might have been exposed to before you purchased it. 8T
    It sure sounds like that could be the problem, but I bought it from what I would think a reliable place. However maybe they didn't know how old it was either.

All I know it is more trouble that it's worth for sure.

Thanks,

Skip

+ Reply to Thread