+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing felt soles?

Hybrid View

Default Felt failure...

Ok HCR, that happened to me too only over at Bean. I think I wore one model of felted but not studded Bean boot 6 or 8 times and one felt just peeled back about halfway and I had a long ways to walk back, so I peeled it the rest of the way off.

Bean had greatly reduced the price of these due to a complaint about yet another of their boot models so it's iffy as to whether or not they should help me with the felted ones that have peeled. <...How's that for a run on sentence?

Anyway, I now have two pair of Bean boots to return..one I don't want anything in return, but the felted ones that peeled I do. I've talked with product reps at Bean and they always say they're improving products like wading boots, waders. This isn't a rip on Bean but I don't see the changes. Prolly because the stuff isn't made here and it might not be easy to explain how to make boots lace easily or for felt to stick to the bottom of boots. You know, a language barrier !

So I'd still call Orvis even though the boots are replacements for other failed boots. Like Bean, Orvis doesn't want ppl like me posting boards negatively about service. Product, ok, but not service...they told me they hate that.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I have a pair of Orvis boots, that the soles came off.

Took them to the local cobbler ( shoe repair guy ).

They have a great selection of glue especially designed to repair such propblems.

Heck, it only cost me 7 bucks to get them fixed.

Have a great weekend,
    chris

If you're not able to get satisfaction through the manufacturer or if you just want to replace the felt anyway try this set of instructions.

I found it useful when I did my first replacement.

http://www.santiamflycasters.com/Art...SoleRepair.htm
    Joe Bertolini

Finally got around to replacing the felt soles, followed the suggestions in this post, and the effort turned out well.

A word of caution--you will need an electric bench grinder (I borrowed one) and I had to buy an extra small can of contact cement as the amount provided in the kit bought from Cabela's was not enough.
    The product description on Cabela's site did not mention that a grinder was needed, but the product instructions said so.

Yes, I'm aware that felt soles are on the way out, but I wanted to get a couple of seasons more out of these boots and I'm waiting for the bugs to be worked out in the new rubber soles. I've also read that rock snot can be tranferred from the tops of the boots, laces, and waders themselves, so the Lord only knows what changes we are in for.

Default New Vibram replacement soles

I checked with Simms re/ replacement soles for my felt soled Rivertek shoes and got this reply:

'A Vibram Resoling Kit will be available in the spring (price tba)"

Rich

Hey Rich W.--thanks for the post that's good information to know.

Default Resoleing, NOT for me.

A few years ago, I ran across a felt resole kit at clearance for $2.00. Since my Chotas were about 6 seasons old, of course, I jumped on it. Brought it home and tried to remove the old worn soles. Lemme tell ya, I ruined the boots in my attempt to remove the old soles. I was SO aggravated, I probably spent $5.00 in gas to return the $2.00 kit to Dicks. Lesson learned, worn boots?, new boots!!!. There is a time to be parsimonious and there is a time to be sensible.

Mark

Mark:

Chota USED to have a problem with heels coming loose and even soles. I actually resoled one pair I had with hardly any problem so I bought two sets of Chota replacement soles with the holes in them to accommodate the stud mounts.

Then I bought a new pair and discovered they redesigned the shoes and I can tell you from experience those soles & heels AIN'T comin' off! So now I have two sets of size 12 replacement soles with holes in them that I may end up using as fly swatters.

The other bad news is, as the soles & studs wear if you replace the studs, they protrude way too far. I resolved that issue by recessing them a bit more into the plastic with the help of a Dremel tool.

Unfortunately, once the soles are completely done so are the shoes and this grandson of a shoemaker HATES throwing away a perfectly good pair of shoes just because the soles or heel wore out!

I have quite a few pairs of wading shoes to rotate and I take good care of my stuff so having a pair of wading shoes that last 5-10 years is not uncommon for me. Unfortunately for Chota, the fact I can't resole them any longer has knocked them from their former #1 position on my favorites list.

It's Korkers Konvertables for me from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    There is a time to be parsimonious and there is a time to be sensible.

Mark
    Marco--you're still working, right? I hope so, so many are not these days.

Self-UNemployment (my choice in 2000) has special rules. See my signature.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

+ Reply to Thread