+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Lucky Drift" 906-4 Matrix

Default "Lucky Drift" 906-4 Matrix

This one is a 9' 6wt 4pc Green woven Matrix blank. Silver&green woven Window style seat which I added the owners nickname to in the window of the seat. Grip is tapered down to flow into the winding check as per owners wishes. Wraps are Gudebrode Green&black Classic twist (CP'ed) with full metallic gold trim bands, and double foot chrome snakes. The butt section has the owners fly tying club Logo which I made for him and put under the finish.

Steve

Default Matrix

Great build Steve, I especially like the 'name in the window' feature.

I've wondered about the matrix blanks as to performance and since you're building on them I have to presume they're good. I looked around for a 9' for 7wt. in a 2pc. blank but can't find one.

Is the blank in this build from American Tackle Co. ? Also, if you have a source for the matrix in your build in a 2pc. 9ft. 7wt. or if you can give me a price on a blank I'd appreciate it. Thanx in advance Steve !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Great build, Steve!! I have a question for you. On the wrappings for the stripping guide ... have you done an under wrap of green, placed the guide, and then wrapped the variegated? Maybe it's just the way the light reflected in the finish. Also, it looks like you took a couple wraps behind the "leg" of the guide, and finished the wrap in a conventional way. Is that so? Could you do a quick walk through of that technique? I've wrapped a number of rods, but am pretty basic in my moves. I'd sure like to add some "spice" to my repertoire! Thank you!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Sorry took so long to reply guys. I was on a fishing trip for a few days and just getting back into the groove of things the past few days.

MontanaMoose - yupp its a American Tackle blank (Matrix). They are super blanks for the price. I have built alot of the Matrix blanks and have yet to find one that let me down. They are a nice mod/fast action with almost a compound taper feel that has plenty of power in the butt yet a bit softer tip to protect tippets. Pretty light for such a low cost blank, and the woven design looks great on them.

They do have a 9' 7wt 2pc and I believe that one runs right around $48 range if you get it through Karen at Bingham Enterprises.

Betty Hiner- Thanks. Nope no underwrap, thats just the way the light is reflecting off the finish&blank. Sometime I do a wrap in from of the guide called (Fornham locking wrap) but thats only on single foot guides on heavier weight rods. It seems to help hold the single foots from pulling out on the heavy rods. If your not familiur with the Fornham locking wrap just google it and you'll see a bunch of how to's for it

Steve
    Last edited by Midwest Custom Fly Rods; 10-04-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Default Matrix blank

Thanks very much Steve, I noticed AT listed a 2pc 9ft 7wt but couldn't find a dealer with one.

Also, I've send you a pm.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread