+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to fly fish in Gulf Shores, AL?

1. Default Where to fly fish in Gulf Shores, AL?

I'll be spending a week in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL the second week of October and would love to do some fishing.

Can anyone give me some pointers on where to fish? I'll have my kayak with me and a vehicle to get me around. Is there good fishing off the beach or should I try to find some inland waterways to fish. If you suggest Mobile Bay, where should I put in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stewart

I should be there the same time with my family. I hear the lagoon just west of Gulf Shores is a good place to start. That's where I'm headed with my kids. Good luck. I'm planning on being there from Mon-Wed. so let me know if you want to get together and fish.
    Racine
    3gfun@cableone.net

The lagoon is a great place, should be able to find some Redfish in there and maybe some Speckled Trout. There is a lake down there too in Orange Beach in the state park that has some good warm water fishing. I have Fly Fished in the surf before as well and caught some Skipjack and the occasional blue just to pass the time.

4. Default

Thanks for the response. Any suggestions on types of flies and rod sizes? I'll also have a kayak to get around in if you think that will help.

Thumbs up Tackle

I'll be bringing a 6 wt and 8 wt rod in 9 ft lengths, floating lines and various clousers in green/white, tan/white combos, redfish spoons, crab/shrimp patterns. That's what I have and if I find a local fishing store I may see what they recommend. I'll be fishing out of a Native Watercraft Ultimate kayak as well with 2-10 year old boys up front fishing with spinning tackle. Good luck...

Default Gulf Shores

Wheatworth,
    I'm sorry to have missed you. We ended up cutting our trip short due to weather and the 2 boys getting pretty ansy in all that bad weather. We did fish for 2 days and the boys loved the white trout which we caught a bucket full in the 14-16" range. Too bad the wind, rain and cold came in. I got to cast my line a few times but the wind exceeded 25 knots one of those days. I didn't even get to put my canoe it as the put in area was under construction. Next time...
    Racine

+ Reply to Thread