+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Wagon Wipers

Hybrid View

Default Welcome Wagon Wipers

Joe

Good to have you back.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Thanks, Dave. Good to BE back, man.

I'm going out again tomorrow morning. Supposed to be a 25-mph south wind, but probably not until later in the day.

Joe

Blog Entries

Joe

I loved your story. To me there is no more exciting fish than the striper/white bass family. Wait until you are out there in your canoe some day and the surface starts boiling around you for about an acre! That will get your blood boiling and ruin you forever I know, it's happened to me already.

Stripers blowing up on Texoma

Good to have you back.
    Glad you got into some fising quickly.

Rick

Thank you, Robin and Rick.

Robin, the first time I ever heard of wipers I was sitting in a dentist's chair, of all places. My dentist at the time told me he and some friends rendezvous at Lake Texoma for wiper fishing every year. He said the wipers they catch run 8-to-10 lbs. and when one that big hits all you can do is pray that your drag is set correctly, because on the fish's first run there's absolutely nothing you can do.

That's a fantastic digital clip you attached. Makes me consider spooling an extra 100 yards of backing on my reel.

Rick, this spring I came this close to delaying my trip to Idaho for a month (or longer if needed), thinking about coming up and hitting the crappie spawn with you in that lake over there near your non-Lamoni office? I know it can't happen every time, but hitting the Century mark on keeper-size crappie a few years ago is a memory I won't lose.

Default Welcome Back!

Hi Joe,

Welcome back! I had wondered what you were up to, even though I knew you were going to Idaho. It was cool to see you hit the jackpot on your first day back.

This summer has almost been devoid of warm water fishing for me, but hopefully that will be corrected at least some fairly soon.

Again, welcome back, it is good to hear from you.

Regards,

Gandolf

Great to have you back Joe, Kansas just hasn't seemed right with you gone.

Ed

Thanks, Gandolf and Ed; it's really good to be back.

Gandolf, I did a Googe satellite search for your city to see where it is and what's nearby in the way of fishing spots. It always surprises me, how close together Texas and Kansas are due to your state's panhandle reaching so far north. You're really not very far from Kansas; probably a lot of similarities in terrain between your area and southwest Kansas? I guess you hit Lake Meridith a lot?

Ed, you hunting pheasants this fall? Strange, but when I was in southwest Idaho I expected to see lots of pheasants but didn't spot or hear a single one, and supposedly I was in pretty good pheasant country (the Mountain Home/Boise/Caldwell corridor).

North of Adrian, Oregon (where I played at a music jam every Sunday night) one afternoon I did see two pheasants -- the second one I killed by accident when the bird flushed out of a highway ditch, flew across the highway and crunched into my front bumper. Those were the only two pheasants I saw the whole five months I was out west.

Joe

Blog Entries

Default Teasing Joe

Joe,

I'm gonna tease you now, get you all riled up to come on down to Texoma and fish

Scott Bridgess is a guide on Texoma, bait and fly trips. He landed this one recently (He took that video as well)

I landed this one on a trip with him last year

The "baby" of that trip, caught it in the marina as we pulled in to dock.

Bait chunkers were landing these below the dam in the winter
    Let us know when you'll be coming! Seriously, Texoma is world class stripering and you are a world class guy so.....

Default Joe

Joe, to hear mention of Idaho makes me think I've 'heard' about it. You wouldn't happen to be the Joe Rory knows, would you?
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

+ Reply to Thread