[QUOTE=Betty Hiner;251263]

If I can now make myself backup everything more regularly it shouldn't take near as much time, next time!

Hi guys:

My previous background was 35 years in data management, mostly for large data centers. However, with all my knowledge, I rarely backed up my own notebook which contains most of my life.

A few months back I read in a trade forum about a backup system which I implemented and works wonderfully, reliably, afford ably, and easily.

The software is Acronis True Image Home 11.0. It is available on Amazon for $30 some dollars. I also bought a Seagate 750 gig external USB drive for $199.00 which I put in a $30 external case.

The software directs you to make a mirror image backup of your operating system on the external drive in case your computer completely crashes. You can re-start your computer from this file.

Then on the same drive, you make a complete mirror back up of your entire system, including data, files, images, programs, settings, etc.

Then you set up an automated back up schedule (mine is 3:00 a.m. daily) which adds the incremental data in successive files to the complete mirror back up above.

When I leave home such as going to the Lowell, ID FI, I just took the laptop. When I returned 5 days later and plugged the drive back into the USB port it automatically backed up all the changes since the last incremental back up.

I haven't had to restore anything as of yet, but the documentation says it is lightening quick and reliable.

My previous fears with computers or operating systems crashing is that you lose all of your programs and settings. I don't always have my source discs of programs and have had to re-purchase many of them. The Acronis software totally solves the problem.

I am now secure that my computing system, programs, settings, and data are all retrievable for about the cost of reel and line.

Good Luck

Rob Goodwin