+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod lengths recommendations

Default Fly Rod lengths recommendations

I'm considering picking up another 5wt rod, moderate/fast action, in either a 8' or 9' length. I do the majority of my fishing from the banks/shorelines and was wonder would a 9' rod be the better choice for increasing distance and dealing with strong winds.

Thx's
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Varied Opinions on this question

Hi Mickalo,

Given the fact that you are fishing banks and shore lines most of the time I would definitely go with the longer rod. I fish a large lake where distance is a major consideration and definitely find the longer rods helpful. Another plus in favor of the longer rod, is the fact that many nymph fisherman like a longer rod to help keep line off the water and to mend line more efficiently. Just my 2% of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

That was my thinking also. It seems the longer rod would be more beneficial for the type of fly fishing I do and the areas fished.

thx's
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

5wt is my rod of choice ... it's the one I use most of the time. So much so that I have THREE of them! An eight footer and two niners, one fast action and the other medimum actioned.

I cut my eye teeth fly fishing with an 8' so it is sort of my favorite length; it can really do a little bit of everything plus for me it's just a handy length. Usually the eight is my stream fishing rod where I'll run into a lot of tight quarters. I do have a 4wt 7.5 rod for real tight places, but prefer to use the 8' if at all practical. The med action 9' is my "stillwater" rod. Usually for mill ponds and small lakes and open spands of water and it is usually what I use seated in the canoe. The nines will cast further, especially the fast action. And that fast action will do better in the wind and the one I will use when fishing with poppers, it also will handle a little extra weight better.

Dale

I have a 5wt now, 8'6" that does a good job for me and pretty much my go-to rod most of the time. I'm sure my casting abilities also need to be honed better too. My main problem has been dealing with the winds we get here and thought the longer rod my help. I also have a 7'6" 3wt and a 9' 8wt for bass. The 8wt I can cast a "country mile" but a bit too much for most of the fishing I do.

I think I'm going to try out the 9' 5wt and see what happens

thanks for all the helpful info gang. always appreciated.

Mike

Default Why not a 6 wt

You mention picking up "another" 5wt and wind. Why not go with a 6 wt.? Try the new Orvis Clearwater II, 6wt, 9 foot, 4 pc (under $200). I have an 8'6" 5 wt and the 6 does a much better job of cutting through the wind, and it doesn't tire me out like the 8wt.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Actually I've been considering trying a 6wt. Was looking at some the other day.

It maybe taboo to mentioned here, as they are not a sponsor, but I really like Cabela's Three Forks rods and Prestige Plus reels. I've been using them all this season, the 3,5 and 8wt outfits, and they are very durable and hold up very well considering all the abuse I've put them through And there in my budget range.

I'm planning on taking a trip to their Mitchell,SD store this week and try out the 5 and 6 mod/fast 9-footers rods and get a better feel and see what kind of difference, if any, there is. Their only 2hrs away. The only other full service fly shop in my area is about a 6hr drive.

Mike

You should be pleased with your choices. Lots of them have been sold on here.

Yes I agree. So far I've been very satisfied with this gear and it's quality. As tough as I am on this equipment, I haven't any failures or problems.

The one thing I have learned, through experience, is don't skimp on the the fly line and maintain your line in top working order.

Mike

While I suggest a 5 wt as the first rod of choice for my area for someone that wants one rod, I hardly ever fish mine these days. I either fish something lighter or heavier depending on species and conditions. If you already own a 5 wt, I also wouldn't suggest the 6 wt, it is still too close to the 5 wt. Either a stiff 3 wt or a 7 wt would round out your collection better if you like your 5 wt. Personally I either fish a 4 wt these days or a 7 or 8 wt.

+ Reply to Thread