+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Flies I just finished. Pictures

Default Cool

I'd buy 'em. Very well done!
    Eric

Hey Skip,

I really like those crappie candy flies. How do you tie those??? Thanks.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RCream View Post
    Hey Skip,

I really like those crappie candy flies. How do you tie those??? Thanks.

-Rob
    Hi Rob,

Go to the home page and type in Crappie Candy in the search window and the page that comes up the first line will be Al Campbell's Crappie Candy. That is where I got it and since I have 4 colors of the FL Wool I can tie it in 4 colors.

Oh heck here is the link, LOL!
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...052801fotw.php

Skip

wow those are great! I make the top clouser style ones myself!
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

I like those Crappie Candy flies! Personally, I tie them with a shorter tail to catch the nibblers honest. Might want to take that into consideration, but I'm sure they will work brilliantly either way!

Really nice ties and craftsmanship, Skip. Love those 'Buggers.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Really nice ties and craftsmanship, Skip. Love those 'Buggers.
    Thank you guys!

quivira kid, I have to say this about long and short tails. You are not the first person that has talked to me about shorter tails, but I have my own thoughts on that.

First a crappie has a big mouth and don't have any trouble taking the entire bait. I was fishing spring of 2007 and found some crappie holding in 2' of water in a small spot. I was using a Road Runner with a pretty long marabou tail (much longer than these flies) and I could watch them come up to take that jig and didn't have any trouble. It was great and no nibblers in that pack.

Other than that I have a guide friend that likes to tie his jig with extra select craft fur and ties them using the full length of craft fur with no problems with short strikes at all.

I know some fish will short strike, even bass, but for the most part when they want that bait they will take the entire thing in their mouth very easy. All the tails I am talking about are much longer than the crappie candy flies I tied here. I have considered the short tail think may times and if a customer wants a short tail all they need to is tell me and I will tie what they want. If it's mine the tail will not be short and if they just order with out telling me anything I will tie them as if they were for me.

I do appreciate your input though and please don't take me wrong It is not a 100% thing with me that everything I tie has a long tail, but these Crappie Candy Flies are a #8 and not all that long even for a short striking crappie with a big old mouth. Now we have some pretty good size crappie here and maybe that would make a difference, but I don't know that. 12" crappie here is a normal fish and I catch a lot of 15" crappie and at least a few time a year I get some 17". Just my opinion here though.

I have had customers trying to copy some jig they had and maybe can't get any longer tell me exactly how they want it. Tied some Buck tail jig for a guy that wanted the entire jig no more than 2" long and he was very happy with what he got. He did need to tell me that though as I wouldn't normally have made them that short.

Thanks,

Skip

Skip,

Really nicely done. I'm particularly impressed with the poppers, excellent! As far as tails being too long, I've found it's pretty easy in the field to shorten the tail of a fly if the fish are just nipping at it. Really pretty hard to make one longer! Keep 'em long and trim them when you're fishing if it's needed!
    Joe Bertolini

Default They are mine

Greetings to all.....This is my first post, as I was just admitted to this site last night. Site was recommended by Skip, the tyer of the flies shown in this thread.....The flies shown were tied for me, and as I told him, the pics don't lie. I received them this past Sat. and from what I can tell the workmanship is excellent!!! Of course I have not tried them out, but intend to do so Tues. morning.....One note: This is my first dealings with Skip, and I would not hesitate to refer him to anyone interested in his services. Find him to be open, and very responsive to any questions or concerns (None so far) one may have about his work. He appears to take pride in what he creates, and his desires to please his customers really shows.

Sorry for being so long in my initial post, but could not help but brag a little on these flies. ( Hope the fish feel the same way)

MIke

Good to see you made it here Mike and I am sure you will like this web site. Some really good people here and very helpful too.

I most appreciate the kind words from you about my work.

Thank You so much,

Skip

+ Reply to Thread