+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cattle, Sheep, Trout Streams, Nat. Forests

Default Cattle, Sheep, Trout Streams, Nat. Forests

The motto of the Rio grande Nat. Forest (where I fish a lot) is "Land of many uses."

These uses include grazing of cattle and sheep in the summer months. The animals not only eat the grass, but erode the land by creating trails along the streams. When the cattle, especially, wear a trail down to a level of 10 inches or so, they make a new, parallel trail. I consider these effects from their presence to be negative.

On the other hand, the animals drop a lot of cow pies (don't know what the polite term is for sheep feces), that eventually, I imagine, end up in the streams holding trout, making the streams more fertile, just as streams flowing below town sewage plants are more fertile than the waters above the sewage plants.

My question is: What is your opinion of the relative benefit/harm that the cattle and sheep do to the trout?

HCR,
    Here is a Ohio Article on the subject; http://ohioline.osu.edu/ls-fact/0002.html
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Thanks Doug!

That article has a lot to wade (pardon the pun) through and I will.

"My question is: What is your opinion of the relative benefit/harm that the cattle and sheep do to the trout?"

My simple answer...Harmful.

Since you said relative benefit I 'd be interested in hearing of benefits.

and I didn't wade through Doug's link....not that it's not appreciated.

completely and totally harmful. No excuses for it. It needs to stop yesterday.

"Relative benefits?",,, anything that makes the weeds/grass grow helps slow down the stream. That is not a good thing.

Default more possabilities

I agree the effects of overgrazing riparian areas are terrible and should be halted at once. However their are some good points to be held for the limited use of these public lands for seasonal grazing.
    The first positive point which comes to mind is the development of roads and or access points along the stream. This could be a combination of physical and or monetary gains provided by the livestock. Then the order of nature itself come to mind. If all livestock were to be removed where would bugs get there food and shelter. Are there enough users of the stream ready to provide all the funds to manage roads,invasive plants,possible invasive livestock or predatory animals?

Might it be that proactive management of the grazing land would better serve the needs of all the people and animals involved. I would suggest the use of watering stations built away from the stream in well suited locations for a start . After the positive effects of this possible riparian fencing could be introduced.

In my experience people are better managed if given some sort of choice along with guidance.

Default Hear, hear...

Very well spoken cowboyjohn and no, ppl don't like to be summarily regulated. I agree that fencing would be a better way. I can't bring myself to eat the smallies in a local drainage when I see cattle standing in the river.

I've seen the results of the fencing in other states and it seems to work. Just wish all states would line up their thinking and come into the 21st century.

MontanaMoose

I have not had the opportunity to fish any of the waters discussed but I must agree that stream and river degradation is a direct result of livestock entering and defecating in the water. Excess silting, the introduction of bacteria and nutrients, lowering of water quality and general destruction of the streambed and surrounding lands are all symptoms of livestock allowed in the water.
    One of the best groups that work with local farmers and residents is the Grand River Conservation Authority in Southern Ontario, Canada. They govern the Grand River which flows 300 kilometers from source to Lake Erie and all of its tributaries and water sources. They have been working with local farmers and providing grants to improve water quality. One of the best methods is to provide fencing away from the water. This not only improves the water quality and associated benefits (improved underwater life, both insect & fish) but it can also provide an access route for the angler without disturbing the local livestock.
    This has providing some excellent fishing opportunities for Brown & Rainbow trout and smallmouth bass not only as a result of the above but also through special regulations on some of the waters.
    All of this in one of the most heavily populated areas in the country.

http://www.grandriver.ca/index.cfm

Check out the resource management topics i e rural water quality and the examples of what can be done.
    Fairness is a human concept largely unknown in nature.

Cool Off-putting

(I know I've been watching Johnny Depp movies again) - but it really is off-putting to be fishing a stream, wade/walk upstream to find a large, bloated dead COW in the water. If you made the mistake of getting a little drink of that cold water downstream you probably also have a nice case of guardia too. Lots of fall-out from livestock and trout water.

+ Reply to Thread