Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
Well, I'm neither cattle rancher nor sheep herder so my comments are more conjecture than anything else but it appears to me that the only good that can come of cattle and sheep grazing close to trout streams is fat and happy cattle and sheep.

MontanaMoose
I am a fish habitat biologist, and I think there can be a benefit to proper grazing in the riparian area (I work on the east slopes from alpine areas down to the prairies... trout to pike and walleye).

Over much of the plains/foothills up to the mountains, fires and bison were major drivers of how the landscape looked. We've managed to eliminate those factors. Proper grazing techniqes (including timing and density pressure controls) can open up closed in streams to sunlight and provide a bit of nutrient to nutrient poor systems. This improves bug growth.
Yes hoof danage to banks can be a problem, but it can be controled by having grassed banks and grazing them in the winter. Riparian pastures can also support low densities of grazing at times. This often promotes new growth and thicker low level vegetation and root systems.

In grasslend systems, yes grazing keeps the thatch down and promotes new grass growth... just like bison would have done, or like the effects the occasional fire would have resulted in.

All grazing is not bad.

(I'd rather have cattle than have a logging company going in and wipping out a slope of trees, changing the whole hydrology of the stream.)