+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New dilema with Flex coat

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question New dilema with Flex coat

For the most part wrap finish has not been a problem with rods I've done. Now a new thing has cropped up. And I'm not sure what is causing it?
    Every so often when I put a finish coat (using flex coat lite) on my wraps , I am getting strange pricks or points in the surface of the finish? What is causing this?? At first I thought it was bubbles, I tried heating , blowing and what ever to get it to go away with no success. My mixing proceedures seem correct and the finish hardens like it should , but I keep winding up with these things that look like a prickly pear in the finish.
    Is it contamination? I've tried rebrushing while wet to remove this also and all it does is move it to another area. Like I said it doesnt happen all the time , but enough to frustrate the h-ll out of me. I've had to let it dry and sand it out and it's getting old........Any ideas what's causing this?..... ......thanks....Ed

I've had a similar problem before. I also use Flex Coat Lite. I think it was fuzz on the thread. I used a razorblade to cut the "prickles" off and recoated it. The second coat always came out smooth, so I don't think it was the Flex Coat.

Blog Entries

It might be Fuzzies, although I always use a lighter to burn off any fuzzies visible. Also it happens on the blank itself where I've coated (at the same time) the signature area. This might be occuring as well because fuzzies are being transferred by the brush when appling the finish.........Maybe?.........Any other thoughts? I am lining up a list of things to check to rid myself of this problem . Like I said it's new for me, and aggrevating. Nothing worse than doing an excellent wrap job (not to mention all the rest of the work involved) than having to do double time to straighten out a finish problem............... First thing I'm going to do is check my thread spools , maybe they are getting old or maybe I have to go to a different brand.

Default Finish probs...

Hello smern, hey, I had that happen once and it was the two part finish that was to blame. Try this, mix some up as you always would and 'finish' an area on a clean piece of glass. If you get the 'bumpies' you'll prolly want to get new Flex Coat. I have more info on this if needed but let me know if the problem still exists when you apply your finish to a piece of glass. Hope this helps !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 09-17-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: missedspel

I used to have that problem. What I started doing was to trim all thread very close and burnish with a burnishing tool. I switched to U-40 and when I mix it I put it in the micro wave for 15 seconds to heat it up. Not the hardner just the epoxy. Try that and see if it helps.

Blog Entries

Talking

Montana........I'll try that and let you know......thanks

harley........ I dont always heat the epoxy.....that could be it also

My list of things to do is growing, but That's Ok!!

+ Reply to Thread