My 30 year old son in law, Mo ( of two years) never fished in his life til he married my oldest and later came to our yearly family campout/get together. He came along with the whole bunch of my little great-nieces and nephews, and grandkids when we went to the lake Crappie fishin with the little princess and barbie rods with push-button reels. The bite was on, and we lost count of the fish, but not the fun..... The next day, my son Justin coached him into a hookup with a nice rainbow in the Pit river. Unfortunately, Mo didn't land that fish, but it did a nice dance for him and showed himself before he dived under a rootwad and tied Mo's leader in a half-hitch around a branch.
As it should be, Mo is hooked better than the fish. Last spring I built him a little ultralight spin rig and saddled up a Pflueger open face reel to it, for his 30th birthday. Well, sadly, first time out he busted it just above the ferrule tuggin on some bottom he was hung up on. I wasn't witness to this, so I don't know what it was like. Bottom line...busted rod. My query.....what are my options for repair here? Is there a repair method? Can the whole top section be replaced?
How is the action affected ? I've never repaired a rod broken this way. I got the blank from Hook&Hackle, but Ron is away for a couple more days, and I can't ask him til then.
Anybody ? ................. By the way, I already have a 9', 5wt blank for Mo's new fly rod for next spring , as well, I'm building a 4wt for Justin, and a 4pc 4wt. for myself this winter as well.....................Thanks for any input, guys..................ModocDan