+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bison hair fly

Hybrid View

Default bison hair fly

My wife and I went to Montana this summer. Her agenda was to read, relax and sightsee. Mine was to flyfish some blue ribbon water. We took a side trip through Yellowstone (GASP) and had a wonderful time. I wanted to fish the Yellowstone but remember July in Montana, the Yellowstone was next to impossible to fish. So, while fishing the Madison River I found some bison wool stuck in the weeds. I picked it up and thought "this would make a neat fly." I carried it back to the car where my wife was waiting. "UGH!" said she."What's that?" "Buffler Har" said I. "Gonna tie flies with it." "Attract flies maybe." she said.
    So after a wonderful week of fishing the Missouri betwixt Wolf Creek and Cascade. The Blackfoot at Lincoln and the Dearborn near Augusta, we flew back to So. Cal and our home in the barren Mojave Desert.
    One day about two weeks later my bride of 23 years came at me with a wad of fur pinched between her fingers. "What's this?" was her question dripping with disgust. "Oh Yea, you found my buffalo hair." Said I, ignoring her wrinkled nose. I put it in a place of honor on my tying station.
    Another week goes by and my nephew and I are planning a trip to Bishop, CA and the high country lakes, ponds and creeks west of that nice little town. I wanted to tie a batch of new flies for the trip and after tying a few dries I decided in some wooly worms, buggers and matukas. I came across the Bison hair and decided to try a few patterns with it. A bead head, a 2X #10 hook, some brown chenile and a little gold wire for ribbing. All this held together with some 80 brown thread. I tied a few more patterns using the coarse, brown hair. Threw them in a plastic breath mint can and went to the mountains. Following a nice morning of fishing dries on Intake II on my pontoon, I changed reel spools to a sinking tip line and tied on the 'woolie buff.' Two casts and I had a nice little rainbow on, several more and I had another. The next two days I fished each of the buffler har flies and caught fish on all but one.
    So if you are fortunate enough to fish in Yellowstone Park watch where you are walking. You just might find some neat fly tying material.
    Now if I could just find the Mountain Goat hair I picked up at Logan's Pass in Glacier Park. Hmmm.

jimsnarocks;
    Welcome aboard! Nice first post. Of course New Guys have to make the coffee and carry wood for the fire.

Jack, seein as how he ties flies from buffalo hair, maybe he can just split the wood and have another newbie tote it. Ya also forgot to tell him the new guys supply the donuts to go with the coffee.

I wonder if it was the odor of the buffalo hair that attracted the fish or your fancy tying? Unfortunately my buffalo hair is still attached to the hide that tose our queen size bed. Can you say toasty warm on cold nights?

Any chance of seeing apicture of one of them buffler har flies? Sounds interesting.

Mojave, hmmmm. I used to live in Barstow several years ago, like almost 30. Wasn't much there then, haven't been back since. Did go to Big Bear Lake a lot for the trout fishing.

Welcome aboard. Drop in the chatroom in the evenings to get acquainted with some of the lads and ladies.

REE
    Last edited by Ron Eagle Elk; 09-17-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Good morning Mr. Eagle Elk, Yes Barstow, actually Lenwood is my home. I am one of a handful of people who has caught fish in the Mojave River. It runs upside down and backwards as you may remember, so the fishng is tricky but doable. Yes I travel to Big Bear several times a year but mostly fish the South fork of the Santa Ana and the Santa Ana river itself by Seven Oaks and Barton Flats. My Daughter and her family recently moved to Silver Lakes at Helendale. My grandson and I have been fly fishing for bass and bluegill around the reeds there. Lots of fun. I just found a pattern/recipe for a fly that resembles a bluegill. I'm thinking about using it as a catfish fly. I'll let you know how that works. Jim

Jim -

Greetings and welcome from SE Idaho.

Would never have thought about buffalo hair as a fly tying material, but hmmmmmm .....

Several of my neighbors around here have buffalo. May have to go for a visit with a scissors in my pocket. On the other hand, those critters are not really domesticated, so maybe I will stick with the stuff I buy at the shop.

Hope you enjoy the time you spend here. I certainly enjoyed your first post, and look forward to more.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Wink

Having smelled wet buffalo, I would have to think that your fly would really be bait.

Thanks Jack, Campfires are prohibited in California and everyone I know drinks Starbucks. I tellem friends don't let friends drink Starbucks but they do anyway.

+ Reply to Thread