I was watching a DVD the other day from SA w/Doug Swisher which he demonstrates a technique call a "micro wrist" casting, which basically uses the wrist on the back & forward casts, a very short, snap of the wrist at the end of each cast. Just after the pickup off the water, bring the rod up for the back cast, you simply bend the wrist with a short snap back, then just at the end of the forward cast, another short snap of the wrist forward.

After practicing this technique for a while I found I can cast much better, loops look alot tighter, shooting line farther and overall better control of my cast.

The interesting things is that just about everything I've read and other videos I've watched on basic casting in the past, they all seem to stress to NOT use the wrist, but the power is in the forearm. But after using this "micro wrist" snap technique, this seems to go against that theory and if practice and done correctly seems, atleast for me, to really improve my overall casting abilities.

Just though I'd pass this on to other novices like myself.

Mike