+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 fish a day

Hybrid View

Angry 100 fish a day

In the last issue, Flyfishing and Tying Journal (the one edited by Dave Hughes) had a story submitted by a fellow who boasts of catching and releasing 100 fish in a day more than 90 times. Ever since reading it, I have had it stuck in my craw and thought I would throw it out for discussion. Do you find it as offensive as I do or is this type of combat fishing a worthwhile goal we should all aspire to? Should a magazine promote this type of activity?

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Howdy Shakes..
    I don't know what to make of it, how to take it or really what my position is on it. I read the article, not sure I even buy it. 100 fish a day 90 times......????? Bugs me too, has ever since I read it........................ModocDan

I'll respond ...... it is not offensive to me at all. Are you assuming this particular angler aspired to catch 100 fish? If so, what's wrong with that? I've never considered this type of fishing combative. To be honest, where does a person draw the line between "being combative" and catching alot of fish. Less than 40, 30, 20? I really don't know. Do you stop at 5-6, or do you keep fishing? There's a river I fish that has some fantastic hatches and the fishing is usually good while the hatch is going on. I have never aspired to catch 100 fish on any given day, but I have had some good days with good numbers, as well as many others who will read this thread. I just returned from a 3 day trip in which I drove 7 hours round trip. The fishing was really good. It never crossed my mind to stop because I was catching too many ( I'm not boasting ... with the right fly anyone could have caught them) and I enjoyed each fish I caught, handled them carefully, and promptly released them.

Not sure why the article you read sticks in your craw. I'm sure responses will vary from mine. Looking forward to hearing from others.
    Last edited by gqualls; 09-15-2008 at 11:14 PM.

I have 100 fish years!! If I'm lucky.

Cool Don't think so

It seems really greedy. Even the person who handles and releases each fish carefully will kill 10% of the fish he releases. 100 fish caught? 10 fish killed. Multiply that by the 90 days = 900 fish killed. What possible excuse is there for that?

Years ago Bub Lilly in West Yellowstone had a little button (which one purchased) which said "Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit." If it is legal to keep fish, once you have caught the legal limit, it is time to leave. Go somewhere else, do something else.

If the water is absolutely catch and release, pick a reasonable number (like what was the actual catch and keep number elsewhere) and when you've caught your 'limit' stop. If you absolutely must continue to fish, break the hook off at the bend. If you get a take, the fish won't be harmed -and you can continue to count your fish numbers if you must.

The fish are not in endless supply. Duh.

Blog Entries

i think it really depends on what he was going for. ive had one 100 plus fish day, and it wasnt intentional. i was staying up at my grandparents place thats on a lake. i went out in the morning and caught about 40 gills. came back cleaned them. went out a bit later caught another 40-50 gills, only about half of them of any sizethough, went and cleaned the keepers released the rest. then went out again at night and caught about another 50-60 gills, kept about 30, cleaned em and called it a day. i didnt even realize how many i caught untill i was putting them in freezer bags. i didnt catch 100 keepers, but i caught probably 150 fish. do you consider it a one hundred fish day, if youre only counting good sized fish, or in that one hundred do you count the baby fish as well? that could well shift the "scores"

I stopped counting fish in the '70's sometime. I didn't count very well before that. Seemed like a distraction from the action, if you know what I mean. There's a little bell that rings, at some point, during a particularly good day of fishing, that tells me "that's enough". Let 'em rest. I find much more enjoyment in targeting difficult fish, than easy fishing to cookie cutter fish that seem over eager. Not that I've had too many of those days lately.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    It seems really greedy. Even the person who handles and releases each fish carefully will kill 10% of the fish he releases. 100 fish caught? 10 fish killed. Multiply that by the 90 days = 900 fish killed. What possible excuse is there for that?

Years ago Bub Lilly in West Yellowstone had a little button (which one purchased) which said "Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit." If it is legal to keep fish, once you have caught the legal limit, it is time to leave. Go somewhere else, do something else.

If the water is absolutely catch and release, pick a reasonable number (like what was the actual catch and keep number elsewhere) and when you've caught your 'limit' stop. If you absolutely must continue to fish, break the hook off at the bend. If you get a take, the fish won't be harmed -and you can continue to count your fish numbers if you must.

The fish are not in endless supply. Duh.
    Very very well stated, thank you Lady Fisher!

Steve Molcsan
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I like catch and release, I can lie about how many I caught. I do not like guys who keep a little 'number-clicker' on their lanyard. That is over the top by 'my' standards. Obviously not theirs though.
    Oh, just so I can maintain my guru status,,, I have had 100fish days more than 91 times. So there!
    Actually, we gave up using numbers years ago; the first liar didn't have a chance. Now it's, "Had a great day! Wonderful time, just hammered them. Lost count. " etc, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Wadr View Post
    In the last issue, Flyfishing and Tying Journal (the one edited by Dave Hughes) had a story submitted by a fellow who boasts of catching and releasing 100 fish in a day more than 90 times. Ever since reading it, I have had it stuck in my craw and thought I would throw it out for discussion. Do you find it as offensive as I do or is this type of combat fishing a worthwhile goal we should all aspire to? Should a magazine promote this type of activity?
    Shaky Wadr,
    Could you print an excerpt from the story? What kind of fish and where they were caught?
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread