+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sunny Side / Shady Side

Question Sunny Side / Shady Side

This is the first year I have ever seriously trout fished, for the last couple of months I have been working the same 3/4 mile of the Chattahoochee a couple of time almost every weekend. I float tube it and except for the slight misfortunes I mentioned a while back, have been doing pretty good for a ole Mississippi redneck. But one Sunday afternoon I noticed one side of the river was in full sun the other was shady. My nature inclination was to fish the shady side, but then I figured that every log had a shady side under it. I haven't kept up with number, the sampling is probably too small to present a true scientific analysis anyway. Maybe one of you seasoned cold water fishermen can clue me in. I think I had 7 or 8 today, two on black ant under an Adams, one on a lightning bug and the remainder on a peacock body bead head soft hackle.

Smile

Jesse -

Generally, the trout will be looking for cover, and the shaded areas are more likely to provide it, all other things being equal.

But nothing like a long term study of your local water to come to a scientific conclusion.

John
    The fish are always right.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up What John said!

I have to agree with John. Shade is one important aspect of cover and trout will definitely seek it out. Brim and particularly bass are also highly partial to shade. I've gotten in the habit of working the shade a little more thoroughly than other spots. 8T

Trout like a certain tempurature range. If the water is cold in the winter or spring they will seek out slightly warmer water where they have cover but the sun still warms them. If the water is warm in summer or fall, they will look for the opposite. Of cource there are always exceptions and insect activity and water currents will also have an effect. One questions answer will always leave you with more unanswered. Think cautiously and fish often.

+ Reply to Thread