+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike + Bear = #@$%*

Hybrid View

Default Bike + Bear = #@$%*

Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

The guy is a teacher at "Target Range Middle School"? Who is in charge of picking school names????
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Wow. Hitting a bear with a bike sounds like the beginning of a REALLY bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    The guy is a teacher at "Target Range Middle School"? Who is in charge of picking school names????
    Dave -

My guess is that Target Range is the name of a mountain range in the area, not a shooting range as your questions seems to suggest ??

Doug -

If that guy was doing 25 mph on that bike coming up to a rise, he rides a LOT faster than I do. Must have been late for school or something ??

The story does remind me of my first close encounter with a black bear in the State of Washington around '94. I was riding a mountain bike on an old railroad grade converted to a "rail trail" in the mountains about 40 miles east of Seattle, not far from Snoqualmie Pass. I was in an area with fairly dense cover on both sides of the trail, when a big old dark haired dog came out of the brush from the left and only about fifty feet in front of me. My first thought was "What the heck is a dog doing out here by itself?" My second thought was "That's no dog."

I hit the brakes before I hit the bear. They made quite a squeal as I almost ran into the little guy ( big for a dog, small for a bear ). He really took off then, but only for about a hundred feet up the trail and to the far side. About the time I stopped the bike, he stopped and turned to look at me. I think we were both wondering what the other was going to do next - I know I was.

He made it easy. Just turned and headed into the cover.

John
    The fish are always right.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Pressing charges?

The bear, being a pedestrian, clearly had the right of way and should press charges. I hope the teacher had the common decency to exchange licence and insurance information in case there are complications 8T

Hmmmmm, new twist on the "a dog (or whatever) ran out in front of me" story. Me thinks the guy crashed on his own and made up the bear story so he didn't look like an idiot to his wife who likely already knows.

What was his wife doing just driving by? Why didn't she just give him a ride? I'm assuming that there might have been a domestic dispute and he was so fired up about it that he grabbed his kids bike and helmet..Then started pedaling furiously to reach speeds of 25mph and ran into a bear.

Blog Entries

It could be worse. It could be Target Range Post Office...

Ed

If i'm not mistaken the school was built on or near the old target range of Fort Missoula.
    Iffin I remember my history right the fort was built in the 1850's or 60's and is still in use today.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

Justice League Guest

Default look both ways

Did the bear look both ways before he crossed the street.

+ Reply to Thread