+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My newest project begins

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default My newest project begins

I've started my newest project. It is a DanCraft 6 wt FTL. It's 9 feet long and 6 pieces, but is a very light blank. I've got an amboyna seat with titanium finish to go on it and have decided to splurge a little and try the new Titan guides. I thought I'd give some updates as I go through the process.

First, here is the original kit.

The seat is now fitted up.

Now for the big decision--colors. These are the colors that I pulled out to look at. I'm really leaning toward the garnet, but the blue dun might be nice, too. I'm sticking with light weight, though, so there won't be any trim bands or anything like that. Just a basic, short wrap on each guide. I think chestnut (not shown) would look great, but I used it for my 2 weight and would like something a bit different.

I'll start wrapping on guides later in the week. More to follow.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

I have the handle, tiptop and check glued on, and the guides are taped into place. Now I just have to decide that garnet is what I really do want, and start wrapping guides. Argh! I need to just make up my mind and start!

FFMIRSWTNBOF

ol' blue -

With that reel seat, the garnet should be a killer. The only other color I would personally choose for that blank would be black, to give it an extremely simple and clean look, assuming the blank is as black as it looks in the original post.

The only other thought that comes to mind is that with that many ferrules to wrap, the color of the thread will be VERY pronounced. So I would opt for a "less is more" approach so the rod doesn't seem overwhelmed by the color choice on the wrapping. With that in mind, would doing a clear wrap be a plus ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Here's the chestnut on that blank before 7 after Flex Coat. It finishes out like a rich root beer color. Very classy!

And the garnet on that blank before & after flex coat. Also one of my favorite colors.

I would not worry about adding any weight with trim wraps. they add character to the wraps and will only add a fraction of an ounce. You'll never feel the difference and they won't affect the action.

Hope this helps your decision.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 09-11-2008 at 12:08 AM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Nice work as usual, Joe. John, good point, all of them. I'm definitely not afraid of a little color. Metallic black with a metallic silver trim band was another look I am considering more every time I look at it. I think it would give it a simple but classy look. Or even a non-metallic black. The garnet would be a no CP wrap. I've used CP a lot in the past and like it a lot, but got a phenomenal effect from some sulky tan on a bamboo rod, and might try to do more of those in the future. The sulky is very thin, and goes transparent better, IMO.

On a side note, I just finished a spinning rod using black frame blue ring guides with blue metallic thread. It is tough to get a good picture of both to their best advantage, but it is one of the more striking combos I've done. I'd love to do one someday on a flyrod with a blue swirly insert like I've seen you use, Joe. Here's a pic, just keep in mind the ring very closely matches the flashy blue on the wrap.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

Do you mean this material?

I got this from Woodcrafters. They are pen blanks.

Here are a couple of others done on spinning rods.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Wow Blue that color just.......well wowed me. I like the root beer flavor on Joe's rod but that blue just dose it for me.

Sean
    Last edited by Lake Erie High Ball; 09-11-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: ops
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

+ Reply to Thread