I just spent 9 glorious days in the Adirondacks here in NY fishing the Ausable River in the Lake Placid area. While I caught a few nice 'Bows and Brownies, much of time was spent flailing my 5 wt around in the pursuit of 8 to 10 inch fish that I swear were flipping me the bird. Every morning and evening, there was a hatch of what I think were Tricos, but the fish were rising on them while they were in the emerger stage....just under the surface film. You could tell by the types of rises. I threw everything I had that resembled those tiny (#24) Tricos, both dries and a few very small nymphs...to no avail. I managed to catch a few fish on #10 Ausable Wulffs and a #10 Haystack...but those were probably the fish that didn't graduate school. To say it was very frustrating is an understatement. Have any of you had similar experiences, and if so, how did you solve them? I've just re-started fly fishing two years ago after an almost 20 yr layoff, so maybe I've just forgotten everything I thought I've learned. All comments, whether constructive or destructive, will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken