+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Humbled by 8 inch fish

Default Humbled by 8 inch fish

I just spent 9 glorious days in the Adirondacks here in NY fishing the Ausable River in the Lake Placid area. While I caught a few nice 'Bows and Brownies, much of time was spent flailing my 5 wt around in the pursuit of 8 to 10 inch fish that I swear were flipping me the bird. Every morning and evening, there was a hatch of what I think were Tricos, but the fish were rising on them while they were in the emerger stage....just under the surface film. You could tell by the types of rises. I threw everything I had that resembled those tiny (#24) Tricos, both dries and a few very small nymphs...to no avail. I managed to catch a few fish on #10 Ausable Wulffs and a #10 Haystack...but those were probably the fish that didn't graduate school. To say it was very frustrating is an understatement. Have any of you had similar experiences, and if so, how did you solve them? I've just re-started fly fishing two years ago after an almost 20 yr layoff, so maybe I've just forgotten everything I thought I've learned. All comments, whether constructive or destructive, will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Blog Entries

Smile Humbled

Boy does that ever sound familiar. Yep, been there, done that and figured the fish were flipping me the fin.

I have a friend who will break out a Beaded Hares Ear but tied really dark, he says it is a dark green but when wet it looks black to me. He was catching fish like crazy while Bill and I were only getting a few. He fished them just under the surface, cast, let sit a few seconds, then twitch, strip, wait, twitch, strip, wait, etc.

But, sounds like you were having fun.

By the way, were you using a fluorocarbon tippet? I use 18 inches of fluorocarbon tippet on all my leaders. Helps hide the line.

Sounds to me like you should call for a rematch and give it go again.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

First, there's nothing special about your experience. You'll get a lot of suggestions. Hopefully from people that fish those waters.

Since you're just getting back into fly fishing you may want to look at your presentation. Things like is it a drag free float, the correct size tippet (6/7x), maybe lengthen your tippet, using a size smaller fly when you are refused. If possible present your fly downstream so the fly is the first thing to drift over the fish.

These are just a few ideas I use when things get tough. Good Luck!

ausable_ny -

This kind of depends on whether you want to catch the fish, or just fish to match the hatch and get them if you can.

If you really want to catch a bunch of those humbling 8-10" fish, strip a small pine squirrel zonker streamer through them while they are feeding on those little bugs you can't see.

No fluorocarbon tippet, no delicate presentation, no finesse. Just lots of catching. To add to the enjoyment, drop down to a 7'6" or thereabouts 2 or 3 wt rod.

John

Try a smaller version of this - tie it on a size 10 or 12 2x long nymph hook using the micro zonker strips from Wapsi.

Last edited by JohnScott; 09-10-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    The fish are always right.

that happened to me not long ago
    I had #24s.... they wanted #26s
    They looked like the same size to me, but I wasn't the one eatin'
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I've found that Soft hackles work really well during hatches. I'm not sure if they work every where, but they are very effective where I fish.

I hear you guys....that's why I went to attractors like the Wulff and the Haystack. While they caught fish, I was still amazed at the sheer number of fish rising. Maybe you're right....another trip may be in order...like next weekend JohnScott...you have a couple of those? I don't tie flies....yet!!!
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Soft hackles
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Default Was just there too!

Hey Ausable....

My friend and I were there first week of September. Same situation.

We managed to catch some fish but they were going for (what you said ) SMALL flies.

DID manage to get a couple on some rusty haystacks. Tied some white emergers on a 24 and caught some on them. A quigley cripple got some interest too.

Check out my blog about the experience.

I tell you, situations like what you wrote used to make me want to sell all the tackle I had...EVERYTHING!! Now, it just makes me MORE determined to get back out there and catch them, even if it's just that ONE SOLITARY FISH which is making a fool of me...AND I DON'T NEED HELP MAKING ME LOOK LIKE A FOOL! I CAN DO IT ALL BY MYSELF! HA! HA!

Someone mentioned using flourocarbon on the leader. A gent at my friend's fly shop (part-owner) says that it's great underwater, but acts and looks like every other mono on top.

Anyone care to discuss this.

Don't let them get the best of you. Fishing sure is about catching fish (of course) but for me it's the experience of it all which really does it for me.

Hope it does the same for you too.

Cheers,
    Bad Luck Larry

+ Reply to Thread