+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rod holder for yaks

To give you an idea of how good the Scotty fly rod holders are yesterday I went out fishing in my yak a 8 wt rod in one holder and a 4 wt in the other. Now the 4 wt is a has a rather soft action and was drooping a little toward the water, I had both rods in the horizontal position to keep them out of the way when casting, and I decided to have a little fun breaking through a rather large wake thrown up by a fishing boat. I started pedaling faster and got some speed up and as expected the bow of the boat knifed through the wake sending some water into my sot. As expected I got a little wet and all the water immediatly drained out but what I didn't expect is the water pulled the tip of the 4 wt down into the water and I was now trolling with about half of the 4 wt submerged and the other half still above water. I quickly checked to see if the fly had come loose or something was caught on the rod and pulled it up. No harm done, the fly still in the keeper, no weeds on the rod and I still had my 4 wt. Whew! Thank goodness for a good rod holder Scotty

Sounds like you were having a BLAST!

Which model of rod holder were you using?

Fly rod, or spinning model?

Thanks for the info,
    chris

I was using the fly rod model and yes, I did have a blast not only from that little adventure but also from all the fish I caught. I didn't catch many large fish, only a few large crappie, one nice perch and a few nice bluegill, but from the numbers. This fish were hitting small bead head woolly buggers with abandon. In spots I caught one nearly every cast and sometimes without even casting but merely dragging the fly through the water. Many times the bluegills had the whole fly deep in their mouth. My forceps got a good workout.

I use the front bow cover on my Ultimate as a 'rod holder' for my fly rod and a milk crate with PVC tube for spinning rod.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread