+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite book on fly fishing.

Default What's your favorite book on fly fishing.

I want to know what book grabs your attention every once in a while. My favorite book happens to be "The Complete Book Of Fly Fishing" By Tom McNally. What a fantastic book. Published in 1993, so a little older, but I always find a little tid bit that I didn't see before. If anyone hasn't read it, buy it or borrow it. Yes, as most books with that type of title, it is geared for beginners, but I like to humble myself by re-learning the basics.

So, what's your ol' standby?

Quote Originally Posted by loufly View Post
    My favorite book happens to be "The Complete Book Of Fly Fishing" By Tom McNally. What a fantastic book. Published in 1993, so a little older, but I always find a little tid bit that I didn't see before.
    Actually, I think the first printing of that book was in the late '70's. You can tell by the references to the strange, new rod material called "graphite". '93 was probably the most recent printing. Good book, though.

Based on the number of times I've read it, "The Sunfishes" by Jack Ellis is my favorite.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 09-10-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Actually, I think the first printing of that book was in the late '70's. You can tell by the references to the strange, new rod material called "graphite". '93 was probably the most recent printing. Good book, though.

Based on the number of times I've read it, "The Sunfishes" by Jack Ellis is my favorite.
    You are completely right, there goes my credibility. The book was first published in 1978, revised in 1993 and in 1997, the first paperback edition was published, which I have. Sorry for the mis-info, but I am glad you like it.

See the quote on the Home Page herein by John Buchan. I think it came from one or the other of his memoirs: "Pilgrim's Way." Or his uncompleted memoir "Pilgrim's Rest," sadly interrupted by his untimely death. There is fine fishing writing in both. It was also published in the USA as "Memory Hold-The-Door." You can find it on www.abebooks.com. I highly recommend it. But be forewarned; it is not a fly fishing book.

Bob

"Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes" by the late Gary LaFontaine. Great information interspersed with humorous stories. I haven't been able to fish the high mountains much the last few years, but I still pull this book of the shelf every couple of months and read some of it.

By far the best fishing book on my table is "Spring Creeks" by Mike Lawson. The content is outstanding and the writing is excellent. I've read most of each winter since I bought it three years ago. Still lots to learn, from one of SE Idaho's finest fishermen, fly tiers, and writers.
    The fish are always right.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    "Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes" by the late Gary LaFontaine. Great information interspersed with humorous stories. I haven't been able to fish the high mountains much the last few years, but I still pull this book of the shelf every couple of months and read some of it.

This is one of my favorites also, I met Gary shortly after this book came
    out, I called his home number he listed in the book to tell him how much I enjoyed it
    and he invited me up to his place to fish with him and Chester, what an experience sure
    wish I could of known him longer...

Mike Lawsons book is a very close second...

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I given away a few copies of The Complete Book of Fly Fishing to newbies, but one of the how-to books I got the most out of myself is this one.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

"Trout Fishing" by Joe Brooks---i found a copy in a discounted book store in Pittsburgh in the 70's---its a classic now!

I learned a lot from that book and still page through it now and then.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

"The Curtis Creek Manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson
    "Everyone's Illustrated Guide to Trout on a Fly" by R. Chris Halla

............Oh, No ! That's two ..............ModocDan

+ Reply to Thread