+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rain jackets

Hybrid View

Default Rain jackets

Well with fall coming up, and these tropical storms and hurricanes, I'm looking into a rain jacket that can be a fishing rain jacket. I found 2 that I can readily get. And being a college student, this is my price range.
    This one cause its on sale and has pockets I can stick my boxes in
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...T&cmid=PP_P1_2
    And this because its still in my range, and the reviews say its good
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...T&cmid=PP_P0_1

If it does not breath, and have neophrene cuffs , DON'T BUY IT!!

You are better off saving up a little longer to buy quality.

Went fishing with a buddy today in ther pouring rain, he was soaked to the elbows, while I was bone dry; it is even a bigger differnce when fishing in colder weather.

Lets break it down simply; it is the difference betwen a good fishing trip, and not!

Good shopping,
    chris

Blog Entries

Pan, keep your eyes open and look in places like Cabela's Bargain Bin, and Sierra Trading Post.

I always wanted a good fishing jacket, but balked at the $150 minimum for a gore-tex wading jacket. I used an old Remington gore-tex coat, then my uniform rain jacket, and finally last fall, on the way to the Idaho fish-in, I discovered a rack of Browning waterproof breathable 4-in-1 duck hunting coats on sale for $60. I grabbed one, and should have grabbed a couple, because I will never see another price like that.

Now if just wasn't parka length and trails in the water when I wade deep... On the other hand, it's camouflage, and I can use it hunting as well.

The first one looks like a rebranded Columbia Frazier. I have one of those. Had it about 7 years actually. Hardly used the last 5-6 years as it's just too hot for most of my fishing. But it is a good raincoat.
    Like the guys said; save up the bucks and keep your eye on the sales. I had a Cabela's $149 jacket that I had to return. Two trips in heavy rain and soaked to the skin. I got an Orvis on sale and so far it has kept me dry! And comfortable. Plus they have a great warranty.
    Good luck w/your decision.

I have a 6+ year old Gander Mountain Guide Series Gore-Tex in which I was out yesterday in a rain storm for a half hour walk...dry as the proverbial bone. Superb. I have worn it every winter for the last five years..my everyday jacket..I love to layer in the winter...hate to be too warm...has not been babied in other words...still works. I wish I had bought two of them. Been back to Gander and could not find it recently (2 months ago or so)...don't need it yet but no harm in planning, eh?
    Buy good-feel good-stay dry-good luckon your search.

mcsteff

"[quote=chris from canada;249400]If it does not breath, and have neophrene cuffs , DON'T BUY IT!!

Do I ever agree with that!

Couldn't agree more with the breathability. Also, not all breathables breath the same amount. Gortex is still the standard but there are others that perform well.

Someone let me know why the neoprene cuffs. Is it to keep rain from running down your arm while casting?

Panfisha - I have Gortex, dry plus, hyvent and others but my Frog Toggs are just as waterproof and a lot cheaper. I use the original Frog Toggs. They aren't very visually appealing, it's a baggy fit and they don't have all those nice little pockets for all your gizmos. However, they're only about $40 for the jacket and pants, they breath exceptionally well and are very packable. They do feel flismy (like paper) to the touch but they've proven to be as tough as my other lightweight jackets. I use them for fishing, hunting & cycling. The pricier jackets have a lot of nice features but you can't spend all your beer (or should I say book) money on gear.

Default Jusr some pooints tp ponder

Pan,

The jackets we use are a bit more expensive, ... but this could give you some ideas and point to ponder...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ead.php?t=2293
    Christopher Chin

If it has not been mentioned, take a look at Cabela's Gortex Wading Jacket for about $150.oo in the fly fishing catalog.

for steelhead fishing in the cold winter weather, I usually have a ski parka that I wear. When it is threatening to rain, or really windy and cold, and I want another layer, I use this jacket over the ski parka.

I chose this particular one because of the large and tall sizes available. They also have a Guidewear jacket that is nice but not for tall people.

+ Reply to Thread