There seems to be a truism in fly tying that you never really tie an original fly or come up with a new technique. So it is quite likely that any number of people have been using the technique presented here, maybe for a long time and maybe in the long ago. But having reviewed hundreds and hundreds of fly patterns, with and without recipes, tying instructions and photos, and never having seen this approach to extended bodies, I have no doubt that there are many others who have not seen it, who might like to try it.

This technique goes back to an outstanding fly tier and fisherman from Pocatello ID, Tom Banyas. Several years ago, Tom demonstrated an extended body adult damsel fly made from furled antron which was my take off point when I finally got around to creating a fly for a Western Green Drake hatch on one of our SE Idaho mountain cutthroat streams. Recently, in a thread on that fly, Ducksterman contributed a couple valuable ideas, and some motivation to explore alternatives to my original efforts.

Having given due credit to those who contributed, here's the end product, size 12 thorax and parachute Western Green Drake duns, ready to go fishing.

Step one involves taking a 2" length of antron yarn ( in this case Wapsi medium olive ) and combing it out. Then take a piece of tying thread about 6" long and mix it in with the antron fibers.

Step two is placing one end of the antron yarn with the tying thread in an electrician's helper clip. Then the other end of the antron yarn BUT WITHOUT THE TYING THREAD is placed in another clip.

Try to position the tying thread so that it is intertwined with the antron to one side of center and free of the yarn on the other side of center. Then align the clips with the antron and twist them in opposite directions to begin the furling process. If the thread is exactly centered, it will stick out at right angles to the twisted antron. If not centered, it will tend to wrap around the antron to the side it is off center. Backtrack to get the thread as centered as possible.

Continue twisting until you think the antron will furl when relaxed. When it wants to create small "knots" as you twist, it is ready This will likely take some experimenting.

( Continued )