+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mosquitoes

Normand Guest

Default mosquitoes

found this on the web

No More Mosquitoes:
    Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away.

I've used a lot of different stuff both man-made and natural but I have found that DEET insect repellent is hard to beat for skeeters. Even gnats, no-see-ums, and deer flies don't like DEET.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Normand,
    Great idea. I do so hate when mosquitoes buzz around my pocket. It's sooo annoying.

Mark

I know there are some guitar pickers on this board. The following is a public service announcement from Jeff

DEET and guitars do not mix well. If you have any DEET on your clothing or your skin when you play your guitar, whatever is in DEET acts as a solvent for the nitrocellulouse finish used on higher end guitars. It will absolutely ruin the finish.

I've seen several guitars with DEET scars on the front, back, sides. Mostly from sitting around the camp fire picking or at festivals & camp grounds.

Be sure you wash your hands and arms and change clothing before you play your guitar.

DEET does keep the bugs away though.

Jeff

thanks for the tip normand. ill have to try this over the weekend. we have mosquitos the size of birds here!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Blog Entries

When out in the woods a wide brimmed hat will keep annoying mosquitos from flying around your eyes and ears. A ball cap will just keep them away from your eyes but not your ears. Wear a Tilly with a dryer sheet in the secret pocket.

Has anybody bought and used one of those newly out mosquito annoyers that are supposed to keep the little critters at bay?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Gnu Bee Flyer,
    Yeah, I got a mosquito annoyer. It didn't work.

I haven't figured out a non-deet method of deterring the little buggers. I tied the listerine thing mentioned a while ago, didn't work. I haven't tried the drier sheet yet, but will probably do that soon to see if it works.

Good luck on finding something non-deet that really works.

black_co

The drier sheet works for a number of unwanted critters. Even freshly laundered clothes dried with a sheet of Bounce will help keep them away. Deet can also damage fly lines as well and guitar finishes!
    P.S. The Mosquito is the national bird of Canada!! (Sorry Gnu Bee)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer View Post
    When out in the woods a wide brimmed hat will keep annoying mosquitos from flying around your eyes and ears. A ball cap will just keep them away from your eyes but not your ears. Wear a Tilly with a dryer sheet in the secret pocket.

Has anybody bought and used one of those newly out mosquito annoyers that are supposed to keep the little critters at bay?
    The only way a wide brimmed hat keeps the swamp angels away around these parts is if you spray the brim with DEET, along with the rest of your clothing ! Baseball caps sprayed with DEET are how I mow the lawn about every 3 to 4 days. As for the dryer sheets, they don't work so well after the skeeters build up a tolerance for the odor. Fishin' buddy down across the lake just got a bug repeller for his flats boat. Supposedly it will create a 25 foot barrier & some guides have sworn by the things, but won't know until it's put to the test out on the water

Never had a problem with the little critters for some reason they leave me alone. The only time I hve been bitten was when the wife made me carry a dryer sheet.

+ Reply to Thread