+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Austin Canoe & Kayak

Hybrid View

Default Austin Canoe & Kayak

I've read reports of both good and bad examples of customer service.
    I'd like to share my GOOD experience with Austin Canoe & Kayak(http://www.austinkayak.com/), which is where I recently made an on-line purchase of a new kayak and a few accessories.

First of all, a fellow fishing club member had made a kayak purchase through this company a couple years previously, and had good things to say about them.

And secondly, I e-mailed them with a few questions about the kayak prior to making the purchase. They responded quickly and answered my questions fully and accurately.

So....When my kayak arrived (only $49 for shipping from Texas to Iowa) in less than a week, I was thrilled! The delivery company called to set up a delivery time, so I stayed home for an extra hour in the morning before heading to work. I helped unload the kayak from the truck, but did not open the packaging until that evening after I'd gotten home from work. When I did, I found the rudder system had 2 broken parts, and the broken parts were still inside the packaging which told me it was broken during shipment.

I contacted ACK about it via e-mail, and got a quick reply to e-mail them pictures of the broken parts, and they would "make it right". They also gently admonished me for not checking the product BEFORE signing for it, as it makes damage fee recovery more difficult for them.

I e-mailed them digital photos the next day, and they shipped out the replacement parts I needed later that same day. I've since received the parts and installed them, and am a happy customer. Even though I wasn't diligent in my obligations (checking the product before signing for it), ACK took care of my problem quickly. I will certainly recommend them to everyone, and will definitely plan to do more business with them.

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Talking I also had a great experience

Dave, I second your vote for GOOD customer service from ACK.

I recently bought an Ultimate 12 from them and a few accessories, including a PFD.

I submitted the order after hours via internet. The order was filled and picked up by the freight company before EOB the next day. It arrived in southern Utah four days later. Incredible.

And the boat is darn fine too!

I hesitate to make recommendations for vendors, but I WILL be buying anything paddle sports related from them in the future.

Jim

FishnDave,
    Have you been out on the water with your new kayak yet and did you go with the standard rudder or the extra large one?

Yes, I've been out on the water with it once. I took my wife & kids along and we had a good time. I didn't fish from it. I took it out before the replacement rudder arrived, and I managed to make the broken one work for awhile, but it finally became useless.

I've since put the replacement rudder on. It is identical to the factory rudder, minus the "Hobie" emblem. I can see how important the rudder is to the whole Mirage system, so I appreciate your review of the bigger rudder. I may make that upgrade next season, but I want to get a few fishing trips under my belt with the current set-up, to see if I can make do with what I've got.

So far, my "rigging" projects have been limited to replacing the broken rudder, and installing my fishfinder transducer inside the kayak hull. I've bought a fly-rod holder and spin-rod holder, but am awaiting delivery of some RAM mounts to finalize their installation, as well as the installation of the fishfinder itself.

I can't wait to start FISHING with it!!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I see you've begun the long, long but fun trek to getting your kayak all tricked out You've still got a milk crate for all your stuff, anchor trolley, gps system and who knows what else all before your baby is all decked out. Meantime have a lot of fun.

Took the kayak out on Sunday for a fishing excursion. The fishfinder works great, rudder functions well, rod holder is nice... I plan to install another rod holder just aft of the fishfinder, and also an anchor trolley along the right side (paddle is secured on the left side).

Other than that, there isn't much more I need. It fishes nice!

Check out the shad hanging out of this white bass's mouth:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread