I've read reports of both good and bad examples of customer service.
I'd like to share my GOOD experience with Austin Canoe & Kayak(http://www.austinkayak.com/), which is where I recently made an on-line purchase of a new kayak and a few accessories.

First of all, a fellow fishing club member had made a kayak purchase through this company a couple years previously, and had good things to say about them.

And secondly, I e-mailed them with a few questions about the kayak prior to making the purchase. They responded quickly and answered my questions fully and accurately.

So....When my kayak arrived (only $49 for shipping from Texas to Iowa) in less than a week, I was thrilled! The delivery company called to set up a delivery time, so I stayed home for an extra hour in the morning before heading to work. I helped unload the kayak from the truck, but did not open the packaging until that evening after I'd gotten home from work. When I did, I found the rudder system had 2 broken parts, and the broken parts were still inside the packaging which told me it was broken during shipment.

I contacted ACK about it via e-mail, and got a quick reply to e-mail them pictures of the broken parts, and they would "make it right". They also gently admonished me for not checking the product BEFORE signing for it, as it makes damage fee recovery more difficult for them.

I e-mailed them digital photos the next day, and they shipped out the replacement parts I needed later that same day. I've since received the parts and installed them, and am a happy customer. Even though I wasn't diligent in my obligations (checking the product before signing for it), ACK took care of my problem quickly. I will certainly recommend them to everyone, and will definitely plan to do more business with them.