+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Paint pen

Cool Removing Paint pen

Any ideas here on removing writing on a rod blank written with one of those paint pens? When I built my 3wt I didnt write very smoothly on it and would like to try again. The blank was the flat black color. I thought about using some type of paint remover but didnt want to damage the blank. I'm open!

Blog Entries

If the writing isnt covered with epoxy finish, I would try acetone. One or two swipes over the writing with a rag dampened with acetone should do it. Caution: do not keep rubbing, acetone will melt the finish.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

WD40 will remove most paints if no epoxy over it......................M.D.

You ought to try the lower strength solvents first. It would help to know if it has been sealed at all. Assuming it has not then I'd try the WD 40 then rubbing alcohol, moving up to stronger solvents such as acetone or even goof off. Be careful with the goof off it is stronger than many folks realize. Hopefully one of those will work and then wipe after with the alcohol to remove and residual solvents before rewriting.
    Dan

It has not been sealed. Think I will try the WD40. If it will take road tar off a paint job it should take this little bit of paint off. Thanks Guy's!

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

By the way John...I get the best results using a small quill pen and "One Shot" lettering paint. I get the paint in very small cans from my local auto paint supplier. It comes in a rainbow of colors including metallics..............................Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gloucestermen View Post
    You ought to try the lower strength solvents first. It would help to know if it has been sealed at all. Assuming it has not then I'd try the WD 40 then rubbing alcohol, moving up to stronger solvents such as acetone or even goof off. Be careful with the goof off it is stronger than many folks realize. Hopefully one of those will work and then wipe after with the alcohol to remove and residual solvents before rewriting.
    Dan
    I needed to thin out some head cement but didn't want to buy a gallon of toluene to thin something the size of a fingernail polish bottle. Anyhow, I had a product in the cabinet called Oops. I looked up the MSDS on Google and it contained xylene. If you are curious as to what is in something, do a Google search. T

Thanks I knew what the base solvent was, plus my bride is a senior scientist specializing in formulations.. Got the inside track on lots of chemicals!!!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gloucestermen View Post
    Thanks I knew what the base solvent was, plus my bride is a senior scientist specializing in formulations.. Got the inside track on lots of chemicals!!!
    Dan
    Sounds like a lucky guy with the sharp wife that is. Does she have a sister?

Just a suggestion- But a much easier option would be just to wrap a base layer of black thread over the current writting, coat it with finish, then do the new writting on top of that and coat it. That way you dont have to worry about chemicals on the blank or making sure the old ink is all off the blank.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread