+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idaho Fish In - October Caddis

Default Idaho Fish In - October Caddis

After reading a bunch of stuff on this hatch, which I have never fished, looking at pics of the naturals and going through umpteen patterns ( recipes, tying instructions, and photos ), I came up with this fly as a possibility for the Idaho Fish In October Caddis-fest.

Any and all constructive criticism is invited. This fly measures just about an inch long, which is very close to what most of the literature says about the size of the adult. It incorporates a furled antron extended body, a deer hair wing, a peacock herl thorax area and brown hackle to size.

From the bottom.

This is a pretty simple tie and should be durable. But the real question is will it be effective ?? Comments from those who have fished this hatch, either on the Selway or other October Caddis waters, are most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

John

That is a damn great fly,

I have a October Caddis pattern and will post it when get it loaded, it is along the Stimulator style but with an orange body...

I think yours beats it hands down.....

I hope to fish the Oct Caddis hatch up my way soon...

was shown a great area up this way that I had no idea was here... maybe something to add to the SW AB Fish next year.... yes I hope to get that off the ground....
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

I've been using an Agent 99 like fly (no CDC) for October Caddis for the past few years. Its been working great (maybe they get their abdomens stuck in the water when depositing eggs?)

They worked much better than EHC for me. (Although Bob Wyatt's deer hair sedge with orange legs worked too)

John I don't know know about at Idaho, But that puppy will work real good here in Michigan

Ray -

Thanks. This fly draws heavily on the stimulator. But I just don't like tying them, generally, and was looking for something with a bit "cleaner" look to it. Any thoughts on the proportions ?? Should there be more thorax and hackle ??

John

P.S. Need to give credit and thanks to Ducksterman ( are you out there, Duck ) who posted some good ideas on how to furl bodies "off the hook" on a previous thread on the Western Green Drake. The technique he described wasn't workable for that fly, but it really worked well for this fly.

John;
    I've got a bunch tied up!

The body is flouroscent orange Punch Yarn wrapped to the bend and back.

The Nymph is a modified version of one I goggled up.

John, nice tie! it will catch cuttys that are looking for the Oct Caddis.

I might suggest, a hen feather.. just stiff enough, yet will go below the surface with a slight tug, the fish have appeared to like that.

Z

Z -

Wouldn't have thought of the hen hackle. Will have to give that a try. Thanks much for the suggestion.

What do you think about trimming the underside of the hackle, kind of a thorax version ??

Jack -

Won't be long before we can compare them head to head, and see what actually works up on the Selway. I'm thinking about a version of LaFontaine's sparkle caddis emerger and maybe an extended body soft hackle to complement the adult. Still in the head scratching mode over those flies.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 09-04-2008 at 03:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Here are the October Caddis Stimis, and a couple other that are great for Cutties

John Scott
    Got the pics loaded of the October Caddis Stimulator and an Italian Spider, and pardon the language but one that has been a great fly this last summer and now fall - " The Thing From Uranus"

I now shorten the name to the "The Thing" as could you imagine on a stream shouting across with other fishers near "Hay could I borrow "The thing from Uranus" they are hot over here.....
    Oct Stimi with and Italian Spider

Two Oct"o"Stimi, size 8 and 10

The Thing

As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

John,

That fly just won't do. Just to be sure, send me an even dozen and I'll test them out when we arrive two days early at Lowell. I'll give you a report when you pull in.

Very nice fly. I'd do some with rooster hackle and some with hen, just for fun. Now I just gotta find some Burnt Orange Antron yarn for furling.

+ Reply to Thread