Well, I was encouraged to give you guys some specs and see what you thought you may could work up.
So here are some details.
I currently live about an hour south of Birmingham, AL, but will be relocating to St. Louis this time next year to begin seminary. I grew up in Western NC and loved fishing, but did not begin fly fishing till I moved to Alabama. My current pastor and a few of my youth enjoy fly fishing and tying as well, but my pastor only has one (really bad) vise. Being a young husband/father I have a pretty tight budget, but have been saving for a while to purchase a vise, tools, ect. Recently some of my youth (I am a youth pastor)gave me a nice envelope full of money for my birthday, which gets me to my goal to be able to purchase what I need.
I have approx 200-250 to work with, but not sure all of this will go to this one purchase.
I would like to get a vise that will last and that I can grow with as well. I have looked at the Renzetti Traveler, Peak, Danvise, Apex, Made 2 Fly, and some others. Also been looking at a Dr. Slick tool kit, Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple, and other materials I need to get started.
On a secondary note I am working on my own custom tying desk (I have some materials to work with and either get rid of them or make something out of them!). What do you find important in a fly tying desk?
Thanks for all your assistance.
Grace
Mtnram