I wanted to drop a quick note about our trip with Leonard. I brought a buddy and went fishing with him last Monday night/Tuesday morning.
The conditions were perfect. The water was up at the start of the night, so we started nymph fishing. The action was non-stop, but as the water dropped when they started shutting off the flow, things started to slow a bit.
With low water, we switched to leech/streamer patterns, casting them in the pitch dark and stripping them back in across the current. It was interesting casting in the dark. It forces you to feel your cast, and if you are paying attention, you can improve your casting.
Streamers/leeches are what we fished for the rest of the night. The fish were active all night, and when things slowed down, Leonard always had a new spot to try that had hungry trout waiting for us. I can't begin to estimate how many trout we caught throughout the night and early morning, but it was more than I've caught in the last year or so combined. I'd say we were in the 35+ range, and perhaps more. I didn't even try to keep a count. The fishing was too fun to worry about numbers. The fish were all nice sized--ranging from 14" on up. Again, this was an estimate. We were having too much fun to worry about measuring, either.
I'd encourage anyone wanting to try night fishing in the Branson area to give Leonard a try. He's a nice guy, and put us on the fish. I also caught my first brown, as well as several very nice rainbows.
Nice rainbow: