We just got home from a 9 day campout at McArthur - Burney Falls Camp in N. CA.
The kids and grandkids all came too, some from as far away as San Diego. Big ol' family get together, we do it every summer. All of us had a great time, and some of us did lots of fishin'. My youngest granddaughter, Claudia, she's 9, asked me one day..."Grampa, do you love to fish? " I'd been gettin up real early every day and going off up the crick or somewhere to throw a line, sometimes with company, sometimes not.... not everbody wants to get up that early........ Well, maybe it was the way she put it, I don't know, but I didn't have a ready answer that sounded like what I should say. I don't think I really did answer her, before something else caught her interest. Well, Today, after some reflection, I can say.... Yes, Sweetheart, I do love to fish.... I even sent her a ' text ' today to answer her question...better late than never.
Well fishing wasn't easy, we had to work for them, but we did catch fish. I got several nice browns in Burney Creek, one went 18 inches. We got a few palm sized crappie in Lake Britton, even though this late in the year the moss and weeds are very troublesome for a bank fisherman.
In the Mighty Pit River, my son, son-in-law and I scored several nice rainbows, including a couple wild fish that did some fancy acrobatics for us. Hat Creek is always a challenge, and we only brought one trout to hand there, sending him on his way to fight another day.
By and large we're a catch and release bunch, but we did cook up several crappie for breakfast one day, and I kept two hatchery browns for dinner with my mother in law, as she really loves fresh trout. All in all, a positively capitol week for all of us......ModocDan