+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NRA leadership blunder

Hybrid View

Default NRA leadership blunder

I would like to appologize to all members for the behavior of my NRA leadership at the Republican convention. To go ahead against McCain's wishes and have a party that is ridiculed on the ABC news by Charlie-whats-his-name is unpardonable. This is not my NRA.

My e-mail to them
    "Really, how dumb can you get. To go ahead and have a big party on the evening of Gustauv and then invite ABC news so you can make the 7:00 Charlie show. Every idiot involved in that hoax should be listed on your website with a written appology. We pay our dues with the hopes that those representing us will act in our behalf. Shame, shame, shame on you. I don't think I will be a mamber next year if you don't make some quick ammends. BTW - please refund this years dues to all members for your stupidity."

Bob Bolton

Blog Entries

Bob
    I agree they do some really dumb stuff sometimes. I am more upset about their stance on the Heller case and all they did to slow it. Now that it has been ruled on it is simply the best thing to happen to gun owners, ever.

I stopped sending money to them when they failed to take legitamate actions against board member Joaquin Jackson over very stupid comments he made in a televised interview.

I have been a Patron member for years and a life member since '77. My son has been a Life member since he was about 2. I have problems with the way they do a lot of things these days...
    art

I'm a proud member of the NRA and have been for many years. I did the easy pay program to be able to afford my life membership when I was younger. I then upgraded to an Endowment member and have been a Patron member for years now.

Do I agree with every single thing they do? NO, but I don't agree with my wife on everything either. We're coming up on our 25th wedding anniversary.

The NRA is the voice of sportsman and it is a great organization. While McCain is not a true conservative on many fronts he sure is much closer to our ideals than anything Barack Hussein Obama is about on sportsmen's rights.

If your opinion is different, that's OK, it's America.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I'm a proud member of the NRA and have been for many years. I did the easy pay program to be able to afford my life membership when I was younger. I then upgraded to an Endowment member and have been a Patron member for years now.

Do I agree with every single thing they do? NO, but I don't agree with my wife on everything either. We're coming up on our 25th wedding anniversary.

The NRA is the voice of sportsman and it is a great organization. While McCain is not a true conservative on many fronts he sure is much closer to our ideals than anything Barack Hussein Obama is about on sportsmen's rights.

If your opinion is different, that's OK, it's America.

Rick
    Actually, if you look at websites run by supporters of each candidate's respective sides, the only difference I can find is that Obama supports a ban on assault weapons while John Sidney McCain III does not. I'm not a hunter so I'd like to ask hunters (or target shooters for that matter), what's the sporting use of an assault weapon?

Marty

the 2nd amendment does not refer to only 'sporting' used of arms. it actually refers to the non-sporting use of arms, as in fighting with arms against an oppressor wheather it be a foreign entity of our oppressive government. you know fighting for our freedom. the 2nd amendment is not to be defined so narrowly as many would opine.

That wasn't my question. Please reread with the post I quoted in mind.

Blog Entries

Marty
    The second amendment does not say the right ot keep and bear PC arms shall not be infringed. It says nothing about hunting or sporting uses of firearms. In those days those things were simply assumed. And it was not about sport, at all.

A few points to consider; Heller vs. DC changed everything this past July. The SCOTUS ruling says the right is an individual right and we have the RIGHT to defend ourselves. In England they have the right to run, but not to defend themselves, even in their own homes. The popular stance in the anti-gun media and crowd was the right referred to militias, whatever they are, as opposed to whatever they WERE. We will have no more of that flawed logic.

Actually, "assault rifles" are used by many in all sorts of hunting and target shooting applications and have been for years. Especially varmint hunters as most are based on the 223 cartridge.

Another point in Heller is the concept that firearm ownership cannot be discriminated upon by looks or feel. There has been no bloodbath created by assault rifle (Gawd I hate that term!) misuse, despite media hype. In order to ban a particular firearm type there has to be clear and compelling cause based on real facts. There are no assault rifle bans that can meet those criteria.

A final thought... Despite the warnings of blood filling the streets when gun laws are relaxed, there is not a single case, anywhere in the World of a gun law actually reducing crime. Quite the opposite has been observed nearly every time. Nothing spells victim quite like "unarmed citizen." Look at Austrailia for example.
    art

Thumbs down

This isn't a politico forum hap!
    nam

Quote Originally Posted by MrFishingToughGuy View Post
    Actually, if you look at websites run by supporters of each candidate's respective sides, the only difference I can find is that Obama supports a ban on assault weapons while John Sidney McCain III does not. I'm not a hunter so I'd like to ask hunters (or target shooters for that matter), what's the sporting use of an assault weapon?

Marty
    Thanks for the question Marty there are many instances on the record on this. This is but one quote from today as a matter of fact:

Obama: ?I?m Not Going to Take Your Guns Away?

?If you?ve got a gun in your house, I?m not taking it,?? Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room. So he tried again. ?Even if I want to take them away, I don?t have the votes in Congress,?? he said.
    Read About It: Wall Street Journal.com

POSTED: Friday, September 05, 2008

Here is another excerpt:

On the Second Amendment, Don?t Believe Obama
    Print PDF version The presidential primary season is finally over, and it is now time for gun owners to take a careful look at just where apparent nominee Barack Obama stands on issues related to the Second Amendment. During the primaries, Obama tried to hide behind vague statements of support for ?sportsmen? or unfounded claims of general support for the right to keep and bear arms.
    But his real record, based on votes taken, political associations, and long standing positions, shows that Barack Obama is a serious threat to Second Amendment liberties. Don?t listen to his campaign rhetoric! Look instead to what he has said and done during his entire political career.
    FACT: Barack Obama voted against the confirmation of 2 of the 5 Justices that affirmed an individual right to keep and bear arms.
    FACT: Barack Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.1
    FACT: Barack Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton Gun Ban.15
    FACT: Barack Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.3
    FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a 500% increase in the federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition.9
    FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.2
    FACT: Barack Obama supports local gun bans in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and other cities.4
    FACT: Barack Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people
    who use firearms in self-defense.5
    FACT: Barack Obama supports gun owner licensing and gun registration.6
    FACT: Barack Obama refused to sign a friend-of-the-court Brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the Heller case.
    FACT: Barack Obama opposes Right to Carry laws.7
    FACT: Barack Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and ?research.?8
    FACT: Barack Obama supported a proposal to ban gun stores within 5 miles of a school or park, which would eliminate almost every gun store in America.9
    FACT: Barack Obama voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.10
    FACT: Barack Obama voted against a measure to lower the Firearms Owners Identification card age minimum from 21 to 18, a measure designed to assist young people in the military.11
    FACT: Barack Obama favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.12
    FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory micro-stamping.13
    FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory waiting periods.2
    FACT: Barack Obama supports repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits information on gun traces collected by the BATFE from being used in reckless lawsuits against firearm dealers and manufacturers.14
    FACT: Barack Obama supports one-gun-a-month handgun purchase restrictions.16
    FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.9
    FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on the resale of police issued firearms, even if the money is going to police departments for replacement equipment.9
    FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory firearm training requirements for all gun owners and a ban on gun ownership for persons under the age of 21.9
    <DIV style1><DIV align=center>

To answer your question on the sporting us of semi-autos, there are many who deer hunt with a semi auto. When legislating a rifle the problem comes in when one considers the look of the rifle instead of how it really functions. Many of today's semi auto rifles function like their military counterparts.

Here is one article by Outdoor Life that you might enjoy:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/theguns...gton-r-25.html
    Last edited by Clay; 09-05-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Blog Entries

namekagon
    Sorry if I offended you by my abrasive and abusive argument. I clearly was way out of line for pressuming I could answer a gentleman's question with such rancor.
    art

+ Reply to Thread