+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMB follow fly, not many takes

Hybrid View

Default SMB follow fly, not many takes

Iv'e been going out quite a bit lately in the evevings trying to slay the SMB not to much avail. Iv'e been getting more follows than anything. Anyone else have this problem and what should I do? Iv'e been getting some nips also.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Question?

Hi jkilroy,

Sorry to be stupid but what does SMB stand for? I know EHC and GRHE but I just can't put SMB together. Thanks, 8T

SMB= Small Mouth Bass
    LMB= Large Mouth Bass

I'm thinking Small Mouth Bass. You are doing everything right as far as fishing where the fish are, and they are being attracted to your presentation. That's most of the battle man. Now to try something else. I would try a different retrieve or stripping pattern. Switching up between shorter and longer strips, and quicker and slower strips might just flip their switch and get them to bite. Another thought would be to show them something different. Smallies are known for their aggressiveness so show them a different look and that might make it happen as well.

One of the most rewarding parts of fly fishing is unlocking the key to what makes a fish bite. Remember the saying that says, "if you continue to do what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten" or "the definition of insane is that those who do the same thing, but expect a different outcome"? Both of those relate well to fishing.

If you are fishing a smaller fly, change size, try a different color, do a google search on what are popular smallie flies. Try a different time of day.

You're going to feel great when you unlock the key. It's a great sense of satisfaction. Like I said at the beginning, location is most of the work, you're really close to making it happen.

Give us the update and what it took to make it happen on the particular day that you have success. Good luck.

Blog Entries

Smile Smb

Clay,

You covered that very well, good job.

jkilroy,

Give what Clay suggested a try, you will find the hidden key, for that day or that week. Then the great part about all this is you will get to start the search all over again, because the mood of the SMB will change.

Once I have found a fly that the trout or bass really like and I have caught a number of them, I will sometimes start changing flies just to see what else they will hit.

The main thing here is you are out there fishing!!!!

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Iv'e been doing all of that. Last night I bet I tried 10 different flies, and different retrieves. When I first got to the area the fish were hitting and I missed a few, then they stopped hitting. Maybe they were spooked. It was very flat and clear water and the sun was overhead. I was fishing for smallies by the way.

Default best fly fishing accessory for under $10

Buy the best fly fishing accessory for under $10. It will increase your fishing landing ability drastically. All of your buddies will wonder what you are doing that is different than they do. It's called a, drum roll please -

Hook file. Then learn how to use it. When you do get bites, you will be able to capitalize on them. Wear drab colors and don't talk loudly around your fishing areas. Don't cast shadows over your fishing spots. There are lots of good tips to try and it probably isn't just one thing.

A great investment is to hire a locally successful guide. Many people try to buy this new rod or that new line to increase their catch. Instead of a new outfit, new knowledge is a fantastic tool. They will not only show you some new spots to fish, but the techniques that are hands on is worth the money alone. Have fun with your fishing, and guess what, all the fish don't know that they are suppose to bite when X+Y is presented. They don't all read the same fly fishing magazines.

Sometimes, it's just tough on the water. Keep trying and you will be successful.

Rick

I fish for them quite a bit. But, the fish here are rarely out in the open. Right now the river I fish is so low and clear but you have to look for darker moving water and bubbles floating on top of the moving water with calm pocket to the side against a bank or something. Nine times out of ten they are there in the calmer water waiting for something to fly by. Cast to the calm water and strip across the riffles .Not sure if the cruiser feel comfortable in clear water and might be skittish for you. I throw bigger popper 2-4 and muddlers and gurglers this time of year because the water here is still above 70 in the fall it seems to be active subsurface. If you can ignore the cruisers and look for darker safer water throw a topwater. Smallmouth are very reactionary and competitive alot of takes come on as soon or very soon after the fly hits the water here. I hope this helps a little bit.
    Janus

Blog Entries

This may be a silly question but when you see them following do you pause, let them run up on it and then start taking it away? That, repeated, can sometimes be annoying enough to elicit a strike.

If your able to see what the fish are doing, short strikes etc. try using a jigging movement as opposed to a strip and pause retreive. I have experienced what you are seeing many times while float fishing in my kayak and have had success using this method. Most times I can watch the bass inhale the fly right near the boat. Be sure to set the hook using a down current sweep instead of the usual rod lift. My go to fly is the Clouser foxy redd minnow. Hope this helps.

JA

+ Reply to Thread